Cheap CO2 cylinder source?

Signus

Prolific Poster
Lifetime Member
Feb 27, 2007
Silver Springs, Florida
Does anyone from the Gainesville, FL area or North Florida area know of a cheap source of CO2 cylinders and re-supply?

Alachua Fire Extinguisher Co is the cheapest I've been able to find: $65 for an inspected cylinder, and $16 for a recharge.

The welding shops don't carry anything small enough, the air companies that service the university want over 100 for a 5 lb tank, and the other fire control/extinguisher companies won't touch CO2.

Kegerator's here cost a few hundred and normally have a 20 lb cylinder.
E-bay prices are about the same with shipping as the place I mentioned earlier.

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
That is a very competitive price based on what we have in Sacramento. I have heard of lower prices in other areas of the country, but rarely by very much.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I got mine right off of SE side, near Sorority row, near Winn dixie, there's a Praxxair place there, as if you where heading from campus out the Hawthorn trail on a bike ride, SE 4th street I believe.

Praxair Inc, Gainesville FL 32601 -- MerchantCircle.com

I was right! If you go down to the corner in Woodland Park, on a bike, you can get spit on for being the "wrong color" if you are lucky:) Ahhh, good old racially divided Florida. Some things I simply do not miss, getting spit on was one of them.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Signus

Prolific Poster
Lifetime Member
Feb 27, 2007
Silver Springs, Florida
Thanks Carlos! That price comes out about few dollars cheaper for a new cylinder after shipping than the local store.

Tom,

Praxair and Airgas want $105 for a 5 lb cylinder (I think that's for a brand new one) and around $17.50 for a recharge.

How'd you get the locals in midtown to spit on you?! The chemist from my lab has a story about a hobo calling off some big dudes from coming over to "see what was up" when he was drunk and getting directions down there. Looks like not much has changed over the years. =/

With the housing boom, a lot of that area got eaten up by developers for these multi-story brick boxes containing stores on the street level, and apartments above. Most of them went from being apartment complexes to condos overnight with the crash. Not sure how many people want to live near there though - especially with the retro 1940's barracks houses just a few blocks away.