Chaestostoma pleco and cherry shrimp?

DaveSurfer

Prolific Poster
Mar 14, 2005
Just wanting to find out if a Chaestostoma (rubber-nose) pleco is compatible with cherry shrimp and SAEs. I want the pleco to clean off the driftwood and shrimp for other algae...I just don't want the pleco chowing down on the shrimp.

Thanks!

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Dave,

I don't think that will be an issue. I don't think their mouths are designed for such prey..............

My bushy nose (I know it is not the same) has never bothered anyone in >3 years as far as I can tell.......

DaveSurfer

Prolific Poster
Mar 14, 2005
Gerryd;31080 said:
Dave,

I don't think that will be an issue. I don't think their mouths are designed for such prey..............

My bushy nose (I know it is not the same) has never bothered anyone in >3 years as far as I can tell.......

Thanks! A little off topic but: does your pleco mess stuff up any? I'm planning to grow a pile of HC and foreground plants emersed (setting up a new tank). I don't want my pleco to start messing the carpet up. I'd like him to clean off the driftwood, but not messup the plans! :) I've heard the rubbernose doesn't get very big, how big does the bushynose get?

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Well he is about 4" max and hasn't gotten longer in a while.

Only thing is he destroys any Amazon swords to where I can't have them. As soon as the leaves get a certain size, he scrapes them clean and ruins them.

No others, just swords.

I have glosso now for 4 weeks and no issues with uprooting or anything.

My HC didn't make it, but not due to the bushynose.