This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Ceges Reactor inline with Canister: Flow concerns?

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by ShadowMac, Oct 3, 2012.

1. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    2:01 AM
    Hello everyone,

I've been considering throwing on my cerges style reactor inline with my canister filter and losing the inline atomizer. I don't seem to be getting as quick of a response and am using a lot of CO2. My goal is to speed up dissolve rates and improve efficiency. Things have been doing okay within the tank. I seem to get fluctuations of inadequate CO2 with the occasional cropping up of some stunted tips or a little HC melt. I'm thinking it is those early hours of CO2 which could be improved. I have surface skimming, and seem to hit the max CO2 at the end of the light period ie one rasbora seems to think there is too much and will go to the surface. I'm operating under the assumption I cannot improve O2 without eliminating canister filtration or adding equipment within the tank to increase surface ripple(which I do have across the entire tank). I would be happy to get some video of things in operation if that would help in the decision.

I run an Eheim Pro 3 2075 rated at 330 gph. Filter has various media within it, chemical, mechanical, and bio. So I'm well aware that my flow rate isn't up to that rating.

What are your thoughts on running the cerges reactor inline on the outflow of the canister? I will be moving my hydor inline heater to the inline side. Will this reduce flow too much? The tank is an ADA 90p 90cmx45cmx45cm roughly 48 gallons.

I have added back my mp10 running on the lowest setting opposite the outflow and I seem to get good movement of all plant leaves without blowing things flat. The mp 10 is lower than the outflow and helps push the water traveling down the opposite side back across the bottom half.

Should I be worried about the flow reduction? I would rather not run the reactor on a separate loop, as in I may forget about the reactor if I have to run it on a separate loop.

Please share your thoughts on this. Thanks, as always for your advise and help.

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Well, I answered my own question tonight. I decided to hook it in since it wasn't too much of a plumbing project. It appears that the addition of the cerges reactor inline with the filter reduced flow by quite a bit, I would say in half. That was just too much to be acceptable. I soon removed it and reinstalled the inline atomizer. There is a big difference in flow. I even think just moving the hydor heater to the intake line improved flow. In the future if I decide to use the reactor on another tank it will be plumbed independently with a strong pump.

Just a thought, if it were plumbed independently, could I use two pumps rated the same on each side of the reactor to ensure there is little flow loss? Hypothetically, I'm thinking I would like to use the reactor on a large tank, 180 gallons, when I finally get one, so it would be important to ensure great flow through the reactor and most likely split the output to ensure a good spread of CO2 enriched water. Okay, I will stop thinking out loud now...

3. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

I would for sure power a reactor with it's own pump if possible...You can always merge that flow in with the canister output if you want....then no need for a unique return to tank...

If you use a reactor for a 180 I would dang sure have it's own pump :)

The atomizers use a LOT more c02 than a reactor or some other method. The PSI reqd is much more than a NW pump or reactor.

Goo thing you actually tried it. Even tho it didn't give the result you wanted, you learned something and every bit helps with c02 :)

4. inkslinger

inkslinger Guru Class Expert

Local Time: