Carbonate hardness

Roman

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2005
Dragomelj, Slovenia (EU)
My tap water is 12°dKH.

When I do weekly 50% water change it goes down to about 9 degrees which is consistent with about 6 degrees before water change. This is in one of those small, high light, CO2 tanks. About 55L (15G), 3.6 WPG (3*18W of FL with reflectors), very high plant biomass (check the picture in my gallery :D ).

Now, what I'm wondering :confused: is, is it possible to hit Ca or Mg deficiency with that carbonate hardness?

Gill Man

Prolific Poster
Feb 10, 2005
San Francisco
Re: Carbonate hardness

I'm not sure how your dKH is changing other than if you were using very soft water to cut it with. As for a calcium or magnesium deficiency, you need to also check the value of your dGH. Ca and Mg are not related to dKH.

Roman

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2005
Dragomelj, Slovenia (EU)

Maybe I jumped with the conclusion about KH being used by plants. It's about 6 degrees before water change and it was like that for some period of time, but I measured tap water just recently. Need to do some more consistent tests to see what's going on here.
Those snails are eating my carbonates at night :D

General hardness was usually 2-3 degrees higher than carbonate hardness, but then again I didn't measure that one for ages. I'll buy a new test and use it once or twice and find what I probably know or doesn't matter anyway.

Yes, Ca and Mg are related to GH, my bad :eek:

But let we say theoretically that dGH is 14°, can I get Ca or Mg deficiency. If there would be only Ca ions or only Mg ions...is it possible?

Laith

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Geneva, Switzerland

Theoretically it is possible. My tap water here is at a GH of 15 but according to the water report, has very little Mg in it. So instead of the "usual" 3 or 4:1 Ca to Mg ration, mine is like 12:1.

Therefore I add Mg to my tank.

However, as far as I have heard, this is rare and usually if your GH is above 6 or 7 (some say 5) then you'd have enough Mg and Ca.

Roman

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2005
Dragomelj, Slovenia (EU)

The reason for asking this is here: Nutrient deficiency

I did grow Nesaea much, much better in the past when I didn't know much about fertilizing and stuff, ironically. I know what kind of symptoms belong to lack of main macro-micro nutrients, but then again they all look similar to me. :confused:

I'm trying to eliminate elements one by one and my latest suspect is that something is missing or is not sufficient in my micro-nutrient fertilizer for which I don't know all quantities of elements in it. I tried dosing more, but the results were not satisfying, so something must be missing. In general plants doing fine but I know for sure they could do better, so please help me get my sanity back :)

There is enough N, P, K should be sufficient (some from fertilizer and some from KNO3), Ca & Mg from tap water (it's hard)???, Iron (from fertilizer - if the info on quantity I got is true, then it should be sufficient)???.

Boron ???

Btw, I ordered CSM from Greg, so maybe this will solve the problem when I get it, but I still want to pinpoint the problem.

Main suspects for the moment are Iron and Boron.

m lemay

Prolific Poster
Jan 23, 2005
CT

Laith said:
Theoretically it is possible. My tap water here is at a GH of 15 but according to the water report, has very little Mg in it. So instead of the "usual" 3 or 4:1 Ca to Mg ration, mine is like 12:1.

Therefore I add Mg to my tank.

However, as far as I have heard, this is rare and usually if your GH is above 6 or 7 (some say 5) then you'd have enough Mg and Ca.

This situation isn't as rare as you might think. I ran into an Mg deficiency in my tank but with a slightly different situation. My tap water is

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Well, it's rather a simple process to rule out deficiencies.
Simply add more of he suspect beyond a limiting level.
A smidge of Boric acid, 1/8" teaspoon of Epsom salt, and a bit more General trace fert will do it.

But as a poster already noted, CO2.

When the KH moved around, you have a CO2 issue (as a rule).
Why would a plant bother with using HCO3, when it could get plenty of CO2?
(Very) Probably because you are not adding enough CO2.

Regards,
Tom Barr