Carbon filtration and dosing ferts

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Hi,

I just put a carbon pad in my canister to clean water from antibiotic and cyanobacteria smell after a BGA treatment

While I have the carbon pad, will it affect dosing the ferts?

Many thanks for helping

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
No

jonny_ftm;43544 said:
Hi,

I just put a carbon pad in my canister to clean water from antibiotic and cyanobacteria smell after a BGA treatment

While I have the carbon pad, will it affect dosing the ferts?

Many thanks for helping

Hi Jonny,

No, not in any meaningful way. :)

Biollante

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Thank you, was wandering if I had to add some EI dosing when filtering on carbon.

Tested NO3 today, and it didn't drop after the carbon was added. Thank you for clarifying it

Now, how long should I keep that pad of carbon please?

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
No Significant Risk

jonny_ftm;43583 said:
Any risks with filtrating longer on carbon?

Hi Jonny,

I am not aware of any significant risks to using activated carbon for greater periods of time. :)

Over extended periods of time I think there is some risk of reducing certain trace elements. though, I think with our robust EI programs the risk to our plants are negligible. ;)

Regular water changes negate the need for the charcoal filtration except in dealing with specific situations, such as removing residual medications and off smells.

Biollante

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
Biollante;43590 said:
Over extended periods of time I think there is some risk of reducing certain trace elements. though, I think with our robust EI programs the risk to our plants are negligible. ;)

Depends which trace you use most likely. A lot of the more obscure trace elements aren't in CSM+B, hence the whole flourish supplementing thing. Carbon looses its efficiency after a while anyhow, so unless it's fresh stuff every few days it doesn't seem to do that much.

I'd use it as necessary for short term stuff, especially if it's with aquasoil; the plants can fall back on what ever trace they can find there.

-Philosophos

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
The two are about the same:
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/plants/Podio_Fertilizer_Comparison_Chart.html

It's the more obscure traces in the column that I'd be concerned for. Flourish provides these, though I don't really like to pay for constant dosing of it. I throw in a few ml's weekly because I've got a bottle hanging around, and I'm not sure of the finer trace details of my tap water.

-Philosophos

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
jonny_ftm;43601 said:
Do you intend that CSM+B is not a good replacement for TPN?

Hi Jonny, Philosophos,

All due respect, CSM+B, in particular with enriched substrates, water changes and feeding fish, pretty much takes care of all your minor and major trace elements.

I confess I do not run activated charcoal all the time in part because I worry, a little, about stripping minor trace elements. I am aware for instance that activated charcoal is pretty good at removing copper.

If you are really concerned with the minor trace items mash a daily multi-vitamin tablet an average tablet per hundred gallons once a month. I know some folks like to add a vitamin C tablet as well.

Biollante

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Thank you both,

I orderd recently 3lb of CSM+B. Before using it, I have to finish my stock of TPN
The activated carbon will be removed after 3-5 days anyway. Just used it after the antibiotic treatment for cyano bacteria and to remove that bad smelling of BGA

Thank you both