This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Can't Work Out What Deficiencies These Plants Have?

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by Kyle Bausch, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Kyle Bausch

Kyle Bausch New Member

Local Time:
    5:08 AM
    Ive had everything over a month and a half from tissue culture and everything has this browning over it? Please help!

Im waiting on a fluval 3.0 light fitting. Have been dosing with flourish I'm using amazonia soil. Cleaning weekly. Im getting heaps of brown algae on glass and BBA on rocks.

20190531_163626.jpg

20190531_163642.jpg

20190531_163656.jpg

2. KeeperOfASilentWorld

Local Time:
    9:08 PM
    Raise CO2 levels over 35 ppm with good surface agitation. Increase plant mass. Manually remove all algae.

3. Kyle Bausch

Kyle Bausch New Member

Local Time:
    Awesome thanks for the straight forward reply! I take it most of that is in answer to the algae issues? Any recommendation on the browning of leaves? Thanks again

4. T.Smith

T.Smith New Member

Local Time:
    3:08 PM
    Looks like a diatom algae bloom, brown algae is a natural process in the water cycle, I don’t know all the science behind it I just know every tank I had got it In the first couple months for a couple weeks. Try manually removeing it with weekly water changes, should go away on its own, the browning of the leaves from the pictures just looks like algae, diatom algae can get dark and pretty dence and attaches to everything, try to remove it from the leaves I believe it can block radiation causing unhealthy plants which cause other algae problems. High surface agitation so you can pump more co2 in. KeeperOfASilentWorld always knocks it out of the park with the algae issues, get that co2 game on point.

5. Kyle Bausch

Kyle Bausch New Member

Local Time:
    Yeah true, weird thing is, its not a new tank by any means. So there shouldnt be s cycle happening. Ive been removing it with weekly changes though and when i do, the water goes cloudy for the entire week. As if to suggest a bacteria bloom. I guess its just patience and following keeper's advice! Cheers for the reply mate.

6. T.Smith

T.Smith New Member

Local Time:
    If the water goes cloudy from my experience it indicates low beneficial bateria you can add seachem’s stability should clear up over night, maybe that’s why we get diatom algae in the beginning, just a immatrue bacteria colony and if it dies off for what ever reason it would get cloudy and be subseptable to diatom algae again. What for biological filtration do you have?

Kyle Bausch likes this.
  7. Kyle Bausch

Kyle Bausch New Member

Local Time:
    Good point. I just have the eheim canister 2215. The media im using is what came with it!

8. KeeperOfASilentWorld

Local Time:
    9:08 PM
    All will disappear once you increase plant mass and growth rate with better maintenance. As T.Smith suggested supplementing with Seachem Stability and Pristine is a good measure.

Unlimiting levels of CO2 is a must. Therefore, aim for 35-40 and above with good surface agitation.

2215 usually comes without the media. Did it come with SubstratePro or by media do you mean the blue coarse sponges, the "2215 with taps" version comes with? If you only have sponges in there, better to get some Seachem Matrix or Eheim SubstratePro.

Could you provide more information about this setup in order for our approach to be more efficient?

Kyle Bausch likes this.
  9. Kyle Bausch

Kyle Bausch New Member

Local Time:
    Thanks for taking the time to get more info in order to help, i appreciate it!

So my entire set up incudles:
    - fluval 3.0 light fixture
    - 200L tank, i cant remember exact dimensions except that its 120mm (4ft) long.
    - 2 x eheim 2215 canister filters with taps, they both came with the blue sponge, carbon pad (removed a year or so ago), the white filter sponge (have replaced multiple times as required), ceramic noodles and the small brown bio balls (not sure what they're called)
    - Up Aqua inline Co2 atomizer
    - 2 x small powerheads at the end where Co2 is comming out of filter
    - local branded regulator/bubble counter/solenoid. Im not sure how good the quality is to be honest. Im Using Co2 rated tubeing.
    - amazonia soil

Original Stock list all except fissidens are from tissue culture:
    HC cuba (mistook this for monte carlo)
    E.blehrae
    Pogostemon helferi
    Fissidens moss
    Floscopa sandens
    Riccia
    Rusby chain swords
    Lobelia
    Anubias Barteri
    Vesicularia ferriei wheeping moss

Since this post suggested more plant mass ive added:
    - 1 x bunch wisteria
    - 1 x bunch XL java fern
    - 1 x bunch ludwigia
    --1x bunch blue stricta
    And will be planting 2 x tissue cultured monte carlo

One thing to note; my inline atomizer has some water in it that i think came from initial use of Co2 from the bubble counter water. It seems to be making a noise as if its leaking Co2...

I hope this helps and isnt too much text. Apologies for the delayed response and thanks again

image000000.jpg

T.Smith likes this.
  10. Arun

Arun New Member

Local Time:
    12:38 AM
    just a basic question here. when you set up the amazonia substrate did you do the water changes as frequently as required? 30-40% every day for first week, every second day for second week, every 3rd day for 3rd week, and twice a week for the 4th week? Amazonia leaches out a lot of ammonia and I lost lot of crypts and parvula the first time I used it, without the above water change regime. In my second set up, I got it right.

11. Kyle Bausch

Kyle Bausch New Member

Local Time:
    That's one i didn't think of! I definitely didnt do that, however i also didnt plant anything for around a month after putting the soil in. I put the soil in when i moved house as i had always wanted to do planted and thought it was a good time to start.

12. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Now I have to ask.
    Ammonia levels in this tank are?
    Any other ppm levels tested, GH and or KH?

13. Kyle Bausch

Kyle Bausch New Member

Local Time:
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - just over 10ppm
    GH - around 2
    KH - 23ppm