Can't seem to get enough Co2?

Squidly

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2009
My experience with blackouts has been positive, and to me surprising. I have found that many plants actually grow quite a bit in the dark and that the algae that was attached to the rocks seems to disappear altogether. Again my only problem with algae is the brown creeping crud for lack of better description. The plants have for me always continued growing at their normal rate afterwards, at least until that brown stuff started covering them again.

It may well be that the Excel is causing other issues, including some decay as you describe. Hard to say since with all that mass die off recently, I'm sure this impacted the water quality adversely. I'd LOVE to quit using Excel altogether which has been my goal since the beginning as its expensive. I will try again to stop using it having raised the lights and see what happens. Things seem pretty consistent as far as growth overall currently so it seems as good as time as any to stop for awhile and monitor things.

While I can see things are moving in the right direction, I'm impatient to get where I want to be. Perhaps after I get the second Rena installed and reactors working, I'll do another blackout if needed by then. At least then I can see whether there is new algae growth as opposed to some residual stuff causing problems until it gives up etc.

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Squidly;47702 said:
Again my only problem with algae is the brown creeping crud for lack of better description. The plants have for me always continued growing at their normal rate afterwards, at least until that brown stuff started covering them again.

I'll just rephrase you this way:

The only problem is plants outpassed by brown algae. The brown stuff came because plants don't grow well

Look at it that way, always. If algae progress, it's quiet always because plants don't have ideal stable conditions. Using EI, the weak point is limited to CO2/light. That balance is sometimes very hard to achieve though. Using other weapons to fight algae will turn you from achieving that balance. Once done, algae will go

Another photo of the bad hair green algae in my nano, so another tank expierience from my previous photos:

Moss is invaded by a foggy green hair layer of algae

Nothing done, just CO2, EI and many weeks of patience:

Nothing left. During the weeks it took to regress, algae never invaded any other plant in the tank

Anyway, good luck, you'll do it, just patience :)

Squidly

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2009
Hi johnny - I'm not so sure even with the light dimmed (1 bulb now) that things are going so well? I'm noticing at the end of the tank where the Co2 from the Atomizer comes in via the Rena output the algae is turning dark, almost black along with some of the leaves (there is also output from the trickle filter here as well). On the opposite side (left side) of the tank, the newer pennywort leaves are yellowing and there is some residual white stuff. Check it out;

View attachment 1269View attachment 1270

I want to add that I must have enough Co2 as the fish are idle and not even swimming around. Once the Co2 shuts off at night, within 20 minutes they are all over the place again.

DSC_0892..jpg

DSC_0890..jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Try as Tom said and give it time to settle. As I told you, if you turn down light suddenly, plants will stunt for some time, it's normal, they need to adapt.
Try not to hurt fish with CO2 as it is not meant for.
I'll add on that more frequent waterchanges until things are stable

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
How much your trickle filter shares filtration duty?
If it's mainly for adding CO2 and skimming surface
then I think one XP3 is probably not enough for your 100g tank
with blocking scape. I think your brown stuff problem is not the flow,
but filtration.

I used to have brown stuff too. I thought it was debris.
I was using a make-shift sump then. Switching to a bigger
more powerful canister filter solved the problem.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
A horde of shrimp also will eat the diatoms and the green species, not the Spirogyra or Cladophora, but most other greens and all diatoms are relished.
Regards,
Tom Barr

Squidly

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2009
My cichlids love shrimp unfortunately Tom. Had a few once along with 3 otto's... Not sure if what I have are diatoms, which if so - doesn't that indicate too much silica? Perhaps that eco-complete is a problem, or the rocks? (purchased a box of wood btw). Not much else I can do (aside from removing the rock) other than painting it with Excel during WC's.

Nipat - yes I'm adding another XP3 canister to help improve distribution, although I've got 2 koralia's, 375gph and 263gph(trickle) and good flow now. If anything, I'll suck all the algae away with any luck! I have a diatom filter as well, but waiting to use it when things fare a bit better.

UPDATE: 2 Rena XP3's installed 3/11