cant get rid of bba

Cornhusker

Guru Class Expert
Jan 23, 2005
:) tom, i have a 37 gal tank with petrified rock glued together with gravel in center. unable to remove these for cleaning.quite a lot of bba on these rocks. tryed to clean with brush ,to no avail. did 2 three day complete blackout periods with no luck. plants in tank,for the exception of crypt willsii,which is a slow grower have no bba on them. very healthy. do i need to do longer blackout period? this stuff is a unbeleivable pain in the butt. :) :) regards,cornhusker

Simpte

Prolific Poster
Feb 17, 2005
Re: cant get rid of bba

Are you adding CO2? This is the easiest way to control bba. I have also had succes with flourish excel but never did any controlled experiment to determine if this was the sole reason bba went away or if it was more a balancing of nutrients.

PeterGwee

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2005

Blackouts don't work for BBA. They are very tough stuff but will stop growing if the CO2 is high enough or very low (consistent..non-CO2). If they stop growing, you have it beaten. Usage of stop treating them with H2O2 when the tank is drained down enough should work well.

Regards
Peter Gwee

Cornhusker

Guru Class Expert
Jan 23, 2005

:)petergewee, come back on h202 treatment,i have not tryed any thing like that. regards,cornhusker :) :)