This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

cant get rid of bba

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by Cornhusker, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Guru Class Expert

:) tom, i have a 37 gal tank with petrified rock glued together with gravel in center. unable to remove these for cleaning.quite a lot of bba on these rocks. tryed to clean with brush ,to no avail. did 2 three day complete blackout periods with no luck. plants in tank,for the exception of crypt willsii,which is a slow grower have no bba on them. very healthy. do i need to do longer blackout period? this stuff is a unbeleivable pain in the butt. :) :) regards,cornhusker

2. Simpte

Simpte Prolific Poster

Re: cant get rid of bba

Are you adding CO2? This is the easiest way to control bba. I have also had succes with flourish excel but never did any controlled experiment to determine if this was the sole reason bba went away or if it was more a balancing of nutrients.

3. PeterGwee

PeterGwee Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Blackouts don't work for BBA. They are very tough stuff but will stop growing if the CO2 is high enough or very low (consistent..non-CO2). If they stop growing, you have it beaten. Usage of stop treating them with H2O2 when the tank is drained down enough should work well.

Regards
    Peter Gwee

4. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Guru Class Expert

:)petergewee, come back on h202 treatment,i have not tryed any thing like that. regards,cornhusker :) :)