Canopy & Stand

jonathan11

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Thinking of Bill's stand height question made me think (for a change). Does anyone have a canopy design (bought or constructed) that allows for easy access to the tank for feeding, minor cleaning, (especially with a hinged glass top), and mounting of the light system so it doesn't interfere with the above requirements? Maybe a fan installation as well?
And the stand. Is there a particular wood thickness (say 1/2' or 3/4") for stand construction related to weight? Do most diy stands have a 2" x 4" frame with plywood around it? Good place to get doors?
I purchased a stand and canopy, but was not really happy with the quality. The canopy and my light system were really not compatable- the JBJ did not like the excess heat one bit!

Walter

Ian H

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Shipley, West Yorkshire, UK
Re: Canopy & Stand

I have never come across a commercial hood that allows a serious amount of lighting to be installed. Hence I constructed my own. As I am seriously impared in the drawing area I will have to describe my design in words. It does allow full access to the tank surface.

My tank is constructed with 6"x0.5" pine boards. The uprights internal measurements allow 1/4" all around the external tank dimensions. I have fitted 1" battons to the uprights to allow these to sit on the tank top and support the hood.

The hood lid is oversized front to back by 4", this gives a lip that is used as a stop board when the top is fully upright. The top is hinged at the back to allow the 90 degree movement of the lid. I use a simple pivotted piece of 1x1 to lock the lid in the upright position. On the lower part of the rear upright I attached a shelf for my foods etc. Doing the lid this way has allowed me full access to the whole of the tank surface and the lighting is fully 'getatable'.

You will have to make a few slots at the rear to allow for cables, and filter inlet / outlet tubes. I did taper the outer uprights front to back for aesthetic reasons.

Despite lashings of polyurethane varnish I did get slight warping of the timber. Not too serious but it does let a little light escape at the front edge.

I hope that this is of some help.

Ian

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

That's a nice stand/hood combo Tom :D

Let's ask Greg how to do the sub cat.

Personally, I simply don't use hoods.
Suspended lights only.

Regards,
Tom Barr

chubasco

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005

Looking at the picture, I don't think it's a tank. I
think TW took a picture of his new HDTV and is
pulling a fast one on us! :D

TW, that's some nice craftsmanship and a handsome
piece of furniture! :)

Bill

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

I like the design, nice sides and equal on each side with a dark color that accents the interior. Many reduce the space and Tom added to it on the sides effectively and thus the overall impression comes out better.

Looks like a nice Dutch built in style planted tank.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Ian H

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005

Tom Wood said:
Can anyone tell me how to create a sub-category gallery?

TW

Looks great Tom......................The plants also look superb. You sure it's not a plasma screen and a plant screensaver. Just shows I've a long way to go in the planted kingdom.

BTW what is the stand/hood fabricated from?

Ian

Greg Watson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
United States

Tom Wood said:
Can anyone tell me how to create a sub-category gallery?

TW

You can create your subscriber gallery by going to the Subscriber Gallery section just like you did ... then:

1. Click on My Stuff
  2. Click on Category Admin
  3. Click on Add Category

Fill in the category information ... and you are all set ...

Thanks,
Greg

Now if you are talking about categories in other areas of the Gallery, that might require Moderator permissions ... so in most other areas, you can't ...

Greg Watson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
United States

fosteder said:
Click on the botton that says "Add Category"

Now if I had just finished reading the thread ... I would have noticed that someone else already did a GREAT job of answering that question !!!! :eek:

Tom Wood

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Kerrville/Austin, Texas

Thanks,

I like the built-in look and -don't- like the glare of hanging lights, so we're all different. I used 3/4" water resistant MDF and made sure it was well sealed. The finish is exterior latex house paint, rolled on several coats. It has a slight stipple effect and looks better without the flash lighting. The paint itself is a bit softer than I wanted but it tends to 'heal' just by wiping it down with a wet cloth if it gets scratched. Weird.

Heh, it does look like a plasma screen, but it's real. The 6700K lamps really look yellow don't they? Next lamp change I'm going with the 8800K.

I'm about to dump the inhabitants and convert the tank to goldfish. The h. difformis on the back and sides grows in black eggcrate, so they can dig in the substrate all they want.

TW

Ian H

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005

It's a shame to break it down when it looks so good. However nothing lasts forever. Myself I'd put a swarm of cardinals in there, sit back and relax for a few minutes on a job well done.

Ian

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Tom, shoot the finish with a clear coat of poly urethane or two depending on the gloss you want, that will make any staining, water marks not an issue and increase the water resistence and mildew potential.

Regards,
Tom Barr

JadeButterfly

Guru Class Expert
Jan 23, 2005

wow that is indeed an amazing setup.

I've actually never seen anything like it...very clean.

good job!

Gill Man

Prolific Poster
Feb 10, 2005
San Francisco

This was my solution to the suspended lights vs. glare issue.

http://www.barrreport.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=70&goto=next&c=

My acrylic tank is open and I have access to the tank for a quick nip and tuck, fert and food additions, and topping up. There is no glare, I can sit and stare without being blinded by the light. The rippled uplight effect on the ceiling, which you can't see in this picture, gives the room a subdued lighting, which I really like. Oh yeah, there's an ice cap fan inside on top the the tank which blows the hot air out and away.

Tom Wood

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Kerrville/Austin, Texas

Ian H said:
Myself I'd put a swarm of cardinals in there

That was the original plan. The little bastards like to hide too much. I think three or four large veiltail goldfish would be more interesting:

http://www.solodvds.com/images/goldfish/veiltail_goldfish_006.jpg

I won't be breaking anything in the tank itself down, just changing the fishstock and maybe adding a more 'zenlike' rockscape. :rolleyes:

Gill Man, that looks good too. I can see where more of the heat is kept away from the tank.

TW

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Red Ark pencil fish are nice, cost a lot though.

Regards,
Tom Barr