Can we replace KNo3 with CaNo3??

shrimppaste

Junior Poster
Jun 18, 2009
Hi Tom and everyone else,

As KNo3 is now a banned substance where I am (Singapore) can we use CaNo3 instead? So if we do use CaNo3, then
1. Would the dosage be exactly the same as if we were using KNo3?
2. Would the Ca add to the hardness of the water?

Thanks.

Jim Miller

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2010
Baltimore, MD
From what I gather online it is Ca(NO3)2. That means for two nitrate ions you get a single calcium. It would make your hardness go up. It is nicely soluble so the plants would get the benefit. It wouldn't contribute to the potassium level so you would want to augment that.

Jim (neither a chemist or botanist)

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Clear As Mud... Real #'s Work Best, If You Care To Share

Hi,

Yes Ca(NO[SUB]3[/SUB])[SUB]2[/SUB].4H[SUB]2[/SUB]O is a good replacement for KNO[SUB]3[/SUB].
:)

To get a similar amount of NO[SUB]3[/SUB] use about 15% more Ca(NO[SUB]3[/SUB])[SUB]2[/SUB].4H[SUB]2[/SUB]O. For the level of NO[SUB]3[/SUB] added you will be adding about 30% of the NO[SUB]3[/SUB] amount in Ca.
:rolleyes:

To replace the K, add an amount of K[SUB]2[/SUB]SO[SUB]4[/SUB] equal to 30% less than the amount of Ca(NO[SUB]3[/SUB])[SUB]2[/SUB].4H[SUB]2[/SUB]O dosed.
:eek:

Biollante

Last edited by a moderator:

chopsticks

Prolific Poster
Jan 20, 2011
Costa Rica
Please excuse me,

If I dose Ca(NO[SUB]3[/SUB])[SUB]2[/SUB].4H[SUB]2[/SUB]O instead of KNO[SUB]3[/SUB]. Will I get the same benefits of dosing CaSO[SUB]4[/SUB] at water changes to boost the GH?

Thanks,

Juan

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Sorta

Hi Juan,

Different GH boosters have different mixtures. Barr’s GH Booster is 3:3:1; K[SUB]2[/SUB]SO[SUB]4[/SUB][SUP]*[/SUP]: CaSO[SUB]4[/SUB]: MgSO[SUB]4[/SUB].7H[SUB]2[/SUB]O. :)

Calcium nitrate,Ca(NO[SUB]3[/SUB])[SUB]2[/SUB].4H[SUB]2[/SUB]O is almost 17% Calcium and if you are dosing Potassium sulfate, K[SUB]2[/SUB]SO[SUB]4[/SUB], you are getting the Potassium and the sulfate, so all that is missing is the Epsom salt, MgSO[SUB]4[/SUB].7H[SUB]2[/SUB]O. :gw

Again real information about your situation makes it easier to help.

Biollante
[SUP]*[/SUP]the packaging I have indicates 3 parts KSO4 while the Planted Aquarium Fertilizer website specifies Potassium sulfate, http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/index.asp?Option1=inven&EditU=2&Regit=7 so I accept the K[SUB]2[/SUB]SO4 as correct

chopsticks

Prolific Poster
Jan 20, 2011
Costa Rica
Thanks Biollante,

I was just curious.

I was looking for some CaSO[SUB]4[/SUB] at my local farm products store the other day, but they didn't sell it, they had Ca(NO[SUB]3[/SUB])[SUB]2[/SUB].4H[SUB]2[/SUB]O and K[SUB]2[/SUB]SO[SUB]4[/SUB] though.

I'm already dosing MgSO[SUB]4[/SUB].7H[SUB]2[/SUB]O at water changes, so, I was wondering If could replace the CaSO[SUB]4[/SUB] and the KNO[SUB]3[/SUB] with Ca(NO[SUB]3[/SUB])[SUB]2[/SUB].4H[SUB]2[/SUB]O in the case that I couldn't find any gypsum at the nearby crafts stores.

Thanks,

Juan

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
shrimppaste;70952 said:
Hi Tom and everyone else,

As KNo3 is now a banned substance where I am (Singapore) can we use CaNo3 instead? So if we do use CaNo3, then
1. Would the dosage be exactly the same as if we were using KNo3?
2. Would the Ca add to the hardness of the water?

Thanks.

Please check before you buy. There're two types of the so-called Calcium Nitrate.

The NPK:15.5-0-0 + 19% Ca, is actually 5Ca(NO3)2.NH4NO3.10H2O.
http://www.dlchem.com/pages/20091117/calcium-nitrate.shtml
This one contains ammonia.

The NPK:11.9-0-0 + 16.9% Ca, this one is Ca(NO3)2.4H2O.
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/427116229/calcium_nitrate_99_AR_CP.html
This one contains no ammonia.

shrimppaste

Junior Poster
Jun 18, 2009
Can I use CaNo3 with KH2PO4? And if yes, what should be the dosage as I am currently using KNO3 with KH2PO4. Thanks.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Do Not Toss Those Egg Shells

chopsticks;70989 said:
Thanks Biollante,
I was just curious.
I was looking for some CaSO[SUB]4[/SUB] at my local farm products store the other day, but they didn't sell it, they had Ca(NO[SUB]3[/SUB])[SUB]2[/SUB].4H[SUB]2[/SUB]O and K[SUB]2[/SUB]SO[SUB]4[/SUB] though.
I'm already dosing MgSO[SUB]4[/SUB].7H[SUB]2[/SUB]O at water changes, so, I was wondering If could replace the CaSO[SUB]4[/SUB] and the KNO[SUB]3[/SUB] with Ca(NO[SUB]3[/SUB])[SUB]2[/SUB].4H[SUB]2[/SUB]O in the case that I couldn't find any gypsum at the nearby crafts stores.
Thanks,
Juan

Hi Juan,

I apologize I must have misplaced this thread.
:(

Nipat's point is a good one especially when purchasing as agricultural products, make sure it is Ca(NO[SUB]3[/SUB])[SUB]2[/SUB].4H[SUB]2[/SUB]O[SUB].[/SUB]
:gw

The Ca(NO[SUB]3[/SUB])[SUB]2[/SUB].4H[SUB]2[/SUB]O and K[SUB]2[/SUB]SO[SUB]4[/SUB] make a good combination, you end up light on the Calcium, but not too bad.

For extra Calcium do not overlook Calcium carbonate CaCO[SUB]3[/SUB], agricultural lime.

• Crushed, dried egg shells, seashells are great sources of CaCO[SUB]3[/SUB].

Biollante

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
More K... OK?

shrimppaste;71362 said:
Can I use CaNo3 with KH2PO4? And if yes, what should be the dosage as I am currently using KNO3 with KH2PO4. Thanks.

Hi,

You will need to find an additional source of Potassium (K[SUP]+2[/SUP]), the KH[SUB]2[/SUB]PO[SUB]4[/SUB] is a really great source of phosphate,
:eek: and you would end up dosing very high phosphates to have a reasonable level of potassium.:)

Something like Potassium phosphate (K[SUB]2[/SUB]SO[SUB]4[/SUB]) is a good source.

If you care to share your tank volume statistics perhaps we can be of more help.
:cool:

Biollante

shrimppaste

Junior Poster
Jun 18, 2009
And also I have easy access to K2SO4 So if I am to use K2SO4 and CaNo3, what should be my dosage in terms of tsp? Thanks!

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Well Okay... The Kitchen Sink as Well

Hi,

For general, high light in a 150-gallon aquarium
dosing three times a week assuming 50% weekly water changes:

1.75 teaspoons --------------- Ca(NO[SUB]3[/SUB])[SUB]2[/SUB].4H[SUB]2[/SUB]O
1 teaspoon ------------------- CaCl.2H[SUB]2[/SUB]O (my favorite) OR (CaSO[SUB]4[/SUB])[SUB]2[/SUB].H2O (Plaster of Paris)
OR 2 teaspoons CaCO[SUB]3[/SUB] (agricultural lime OR dried crushed egg shells)
1 teaspoon--------------------- K[SUB]2[/SUB]SO[SUB]4[/SUB]
[SUP][FONT=&amp]1[/FONT][/SUP][FONT=&amp]⁄[SUB]8 [/SUB] [/FONT] teaspoon ----------------- KH[SUB]2[/SUB]PO[SUB]4[/SUB] OR 3 milliliters Fleet Enemas

½ teaspoon ------------------- CSM+B,
2 milliliters ------------------ 0.5% Boron solution (46 grams of Borax in 1 liter solution with distilled water.)
1 teaspoon -------------------- Epsom salts (MgSO[SUB]4[/SUB].7H[SUB]2[/SUB]O)
¼ teaspoon -------------------- 10% Chelated Iron

I hope this helps.
:cool:

Biollante

shrimppaste

Junior Poster
Jun 18, 2009
Hi Billante,

Sorry but I am an idiot ahha. So is it
1.75 teaspoon of CaNO34H2O
and 1 tsp of CaCl2H2O
and 1 tsp of K2S04
and 1/8 tsp KH2PO4

So all these for the Micro part??

shrimppaste

Junior Poster
Jun 18, 2009
Hi Billante,

and 1 tsp of CaCl2H2O
and 1 tsp of K2S04
and 1/8 tsp KH2PO4

So all these for the Micro part?? The OR kinda confused me.

shrimppaste

Junior Poster
Jun 18, 2009
Sorry again just to make sure as they state it in terms of the names and not the Chemistry symbol, so what I need to dose is
1.75 tsp of Calcium Nitrate
+ 1 tsp of Calcium Chloride
+ 1 tsp of Potassium Sulphate
+ 1/8tsp Potassium Phosphate

Three times a week.

Is this correct?

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
I'll Play

Hi,

You are not an idiot, you just don’t know yet… So long as you are not yanking the evil plant monster’s proverbial chain.

1.75 (1 3⁄4) teaspoon of Ca(NO[SUB]3[/SUB])[SUB]2[/SUB].4H[SUB]2[/SUB]O
and 1 tsp of CaCl[SUB]2[/SUB].H[SUB]2[/SUB]O
and 1 tsp of K[SUB]2[/SUB]S0[SUB]4[/SUB]
and 1/8 tsp KH[SUB]2[/SUB]PO[SUB]4[/SUB]

The above are macronutrients.

Biollante

shrimppaste;71376 said:
Hi Billante,

and 1 tsp of CaCl2H2O
and 1 tsp of K2S04
and 1/8 tsp KH2PO4

So all these for the Micro part??

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Macro---Micro All Ends Up In There Somehow

Hi,

The “OR” indicates a choice, in the English language “or” is a coordinating conjunction introducing an alternative. I struggle with English, as anyone who reads my posts can deduce
:(. “OR” could also be viewed as a logical operator, meaning any of the statements make the condition “true.”:)

In this case you had not told me what other sources of Calcium you had available so I listed three possibilities. I happen to favor CaCl[SUB]2[/SUB].2H[SUB]2[/SUB]O, because I like the Cl[SUB]2[/SUB] part as well (that is somewhat controversial). (CaSO[SUB]4[/SUB])[SUB]2[/SUB].H2O is available almost everywhere. CaCO[SUB]3[/SUB] is available in a number of forms including egg shells, which most folks have access to and foolishly throw away.
:(:eek:

These are in the macronutrient group.

The CSM+B, Boron and iron are micronutrients. The Epsom salts tend to get lumped in but I believe, at least technically, Magnesium would be a macronutrient.
:confused:;)

Biollante

shrimppaste;71377 said:
Hi Billante,

and 1 tsp of CaCl2H2O
and 1 tsp of K2S04
and 1/8 tsp KH2PO4

So all these for the Micro part?? The OR kinda confused me.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Sometimes I Get A Wee Bit Carried Away

Hi,

The parenthesis, sub and superscripts are important…

Ca(NO[SUB]3[/SUB])[SUB]2[/SUB].4H[SUB]2[/SUB]O is called Calcium nitrate tetra-hydrate.

• Ca is Calcium
  • NO3 is nitrate, which is made up of one Nitrogen molecule and three Oxygen molecules.
    • Notice the parenthesis around the nitrates “(NO[SUB]3[/SUB]) with the subscript “[SUB]2[/SUB]”
    • (NO[SUB]3[/SUB])[SUB]2[/SUB], this means there are two nitrate.
  • The “.” (often represented by an asterisk) indicates an “hydrate.”
    • Hydrate indicates that a substance contains water.
    • In this case “4H[SUB]2[/SUB]O” means four water molecules attached we refer to that as “tetra-hydrate.”
So we have:
Calcium nitrate tetra-hydrate, Ca(NO[SUB]3[/SUB])[SUB]2[/SUB].4H[SUB]2[/SUB]O
Calcium chloride di-hydrate,
CaCl[SUB]2[/SUB].2H[SUB]2[/SUB]O,
this is often available as Calcium chloride hexa-hydrate, CaCl[SUB]2[/SUB].6H[SUB]2[/SUB]O, you will need about 16% more if you use the hexa rather than the di-hydrate. If you order your Calcium nitrate from a chemical supply house you may get anhydrous Calcium chloride CaCl[SUB]2[/SUB].
Calcium sulfate, CaSO[SUB]4 [/SUB]is most commonly seen as plaster of Paris, (CaSO[SUB]4[/SUB])[SUB]2[/SUB].H[SUB]2[/SUB]O, occasionally you will see it written as CaSO[SUB]4[/SUB].1⁄2 H[SUB]2[/SUB]O
Calcium carbonate, CaCO[SUB]3[/SUB]
Potassium sulfate, K[SUB]2[/SUB]SO[SUB]4[/SUB]
Monopotassium phosphate, also known as potassium dihydrogen phosphate, KDP, or monobasic potassium phosphate, MKP, KH[SUB]2[/SUB]PO[SUB]4[/SUB].
Fleet Enema’s 16 g sodium biphosphate and 6 g sodium phosphate per 100 mL solution are a great, precisely measured substitute.

I hope this helps someone.
:rolleyes::cool:

Biollante

shrimppaste;71378 said:
Sorry again just to make sure as they state it in terms of the names and not the Chemistry symbol, so what I need to dose is
1.75 tsp of Calcium Nitrate
+ 1 tsp of Calcium Chloride
+ 1 tsp of Potassium Sulphate
+ 1/8tsp Potassium Phosphate

Three times a week.

Is this correct?