This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Can I use slate or shale rocks in my tank?

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by rs18alpha, Sep 7, 2017.

1. rs18alpha

rs18alpha Subscriber

Local Time:
    2:53 PM
    Will these be safe for my tank?

2. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I have seen slate in tanks yes.

3. rs18alpha

rs18alpha Subscriber

Local Time:
    Thanks Dutchmuch.

4. Jason King

Jason King barrreport.com
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I've seen and know of a lot of Aquascapes that have used slate, so it's certainly fish safe. however I can't say if it will leech some minerals.. altering the water parameters, raising pH etc.

Maybe someone else can confirm this?

burr740 likes this.
  5. bshenanagins

bshenanagins Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Depends on how pure the slate is, for instance if you go to lowes and check out their slate tiles, you can see discoloration in some pieces. Hard to say what exactly is in there though

6. ForTheHalibut

ForTheHalibut Member

Local Time:
    9:53 AM
    Some older aquarium books caution against using slate, but that does not appear to be a prevailing concern anymore. I think it mostly had to do with people collecting rocks from the outdoors, and the possibility of aquarists confusing slate for shale. Slate can also get pretty sharp if you're not careful. If you are confident in your identification and there are no fish-slicing edges, should be safe.

7. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Member

Local Time:
    Shale is often soft and will most likely have an impact on water chemistry. This in itself might not be a problem since frequent and substantial water changes used with EI usually reset water parameters within acceptable limits. But it all depends on the type of shale and exactly how soft and friable it is. If it laminates easily and falls apart in your hands, for instance, it's probably best not used.

Slate on the other hand is often hard. It's a fine-grained, foliated metamorphic rock that is created by the alteration of shale or mudstone by low-grade regional metamorphism. As a result it will usually have minimal affect on water chemistry. I've used it plenty of times without any issues.

#7 Tim Harrison, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
Tags: