Can I use Flourish Iron in a marine tank??

richardsantink

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2005
just outside of Ottawa, Ontario
Hi folks..

I was looking through my collection of tank 'supplements' and came across a bottle of Flourish Iron that I had from the past summer's planted (freshwater) tank.

I no longer have freshwater tanks, and I was wondering if I could use it in my macroalgae tank. I seem to recall their website only mentioning its use in freshwater, while not explicitly saying not to use it in marine tanks.

Analysis reads:

1.0% soluble iron (Fe) derived from Ferrous gluconate

The label suggests it's better than EDTA-based iron sources..

Anyone?

Thanks,

RAS

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
No, use TMG, it's the best source at the moment.
I will have some other marine specific traces coming up, ETDA and Gluconate are fine if the alk is low and the pH is like, 6.3 or less.

But at high Alk and high pH?

No, the chelators are terrible.
I have a chelator that is excellent above a pH of 8 for Fe and other trace metals.

It'll be fairly quick for this one, I've been working mainly with the FW version.
I have no idea why Kent and other companies sell the ETDA(well, this one is dirt cheap) and the Gluconate traces for marine systems, they are the worst possible chelators.

Regards,
Tom Barr

reiverix

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 29, 2005
I use Kent Iron and I've been quite happy with it. I may switch to something different when the bottle is done. The trace mix is highly diluted compared to FW traces.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
You'll be much happier once you use a better chelator.

Regards,
tom Barr

richardsantink

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2005
just outside of Ottawa, Ontario
Tom Barr;14861 said:
It'll be fairly quick for this one, I've been working mainly with the FW version.
I have no idea why Kent and other companies sell the ETDA(well, this one is dirt cheap) and the Gluconate traces for marine systems, they are the worst possible chelators.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Ok, so it isn't likely to do any harm, and at the same time it's obviously not the best choice... I just want to get rid of the stuff (500mL) - no plans to buy it again.

Thanks for the info,

RAS :)

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I was in the same boat, I just assumed the Kent would be okay etc and other brands with ETDA.

Regards,
Tom Barr

PatrikS

Prolific Poster
Jun 4, 2006
So Tom, did I understand You right - You are planning on releasing Your own Marine Trace fertilizer? That would be really awesome!! When will it be out? Will one be able to order it from Europe?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Yes, I will, it'll be specific to pH's above 8.0, at first for the hobby it would seem.

I'm undecided as of yet as to the ratios and which metals may be added other than Fe and Mn.

I may just do one simple version, as many of the other metals are seldom limiting.
The scope of marine macro algae is extremely wide and making a one size fits all version may be tougher than we think.

Yes, it'll be available through a distributor in the UK.

Regards,
Tom Barr

PatrikS

Prolific Poster
Jun 4, 2006
Allrighty, hurry up then, Tom! :D Maybe it could be good to let one basic "concotion" out to us, consumers, and add stuff later along the way.

jaki kalionzes

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2005
paso robles calif.
hi, I,ve ben fooling around with a couple of low tech macro tanks with plants Icollected from San Simeon Ca at low tide. I have never dosed them with anything. I have some cell-hi F2P that i bought from Randy Reed. He said it was for plant growth. I have tried finding out what was in it but apparently I don't have the brain I need to figure it out. Does anyone know if it would help or would it just encourage green water.Thank you jaki kalionzes

Jimbo205

Junior Poster
Jul 27, 2006
Upstate New York
What is TMG?

I have Greg Watson Dry Ferts that I received from a friend when I first got into Fresh Water Planted Aquariums.

I have been trying for months to figure out how to do this for a Nano Reef Tank.

Any link to a : How to do Marine Plants Tank would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jimbo205