This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.
    Dismiss Notice

Can I increase EI with no harm?

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by crystalview, Apr 11, 2009.

1. crystalview

crystalview Guru Class Expert

Sep 6, 2008
    1:57 AM
    I have been using Non CO2 EI dosing for almost 3wks. I just reduced my light from 10hrs to 8hrs. My fast growing plants are pale in color and the large Anubias is getting GSA along with the glass. Moss and Fissidens seem fine. I melted the Subwassertang. Would there be to many nutrients in the tank if I increased to Regular EI dosing? Would this help?

Non CO2 EI

1/4 teaspoon of KNO3 3-4x a week (every other day)
    1/16th teaspoon of KH2PO4 3-4x a week (every other day)
    Traces added on off days as the macro nutrients, so 3x a week,
    Excel daily

Regular EI

40-60 Gallon Aquariums
    +/- 1/2 tsp KN03 3x a week
    +/- 1/8 tsp KH2P04 3x a week
    +/- 1/8 (10ml) Trace Elements 3x a week
    50% weekly water change
  2. Carissa

Carissa Guru Class Expert

Jun 8, 2007
    1:57 AM
    I would increase what you're doing by 25 or 50% for a couple of weeks and see what happens. The idea is to have too many nutrients at all times. :) If you're doing Excel you may need more anyway. I don't think it will hurt.