This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Can Compact growth be regulated with lighting?

Discussion in 'Advanced Strategies and Fertilization' started by Davejt, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Davejt

Davejt Junior Poster

Local Time:
    3:55 AM
    High light - short period, High light - long period, Low light - long period, etc. All else being equal in a general sense, which would promote dense, compact growth, as opposed for everything growing straight for lights?

I know a lot more would be involved especially plant species, but just trying to pick a start point for lighting.

65gal (the tall one) 2-6 T5 HO 36" lamps available. with CO2.

2. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    A difference in light strength makes a difference in compact growth, but good CO2 also plays a role here. I would start with just two bulbs and first make sure you have good algae free growth and ample CO2. When you have that covered, then you can experiment with light to see how it influences growth.

regards,
    dutchy

3. ibanezfrelon

ibanezfrelon Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I've had nice thick growth with 2wpg in a 20inch deep tank.
    CO2 is very important

IMG_2405..jpg

IMG_2971.jpg

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I have thick growth at under 2w/gal.
    And........it grows slower so stays that way longer........than say with high light.

Regards,
    Tom Barr