This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Can’t Find My Problem

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by ALIEN87, Jul 21, 2020.

1. ALIEN87

ALIEN87 New Member

Local Time:
    4:31 PM
    Hello everyone, I have a 20 gallon tank,
    Light is the xr15 g5 and I run it at around 70%, I haven’t found the best settings for this light. I dose once a week but I’m having a problem understanding iron, seems the more research I do the more confused I get. I’m using edta 13% and I was trying to dose once a week, I see some people say they dose once a week, but this doesn’t make sense to me cause then I read EDTA 13% only lasts a couple hours, so if I dose on a Monday, and it only lasts a couple hours, my plants will be without iron for the rest of the week until Monday again? Seems like we NEED to dose this daily? Also I dry dose directly into the tank, I see others make a solution, but I also saw the iron rusts, so what are the benefits of making a solution if it can even rust, instead of just adding it dry to the tank?

I’m thinking iron is what my plants need, but I need help, I’ve done a lot of research and still don’t understand. I read sticky threads too and I just get confused. Here’s some pics, some older leaves growing algae. But the one I think is iron is the red plant with a white spot(with arrows pointing)and one leave turned all yellow and it’s pretty much dissolving.

I have co2 and the indicator is green, co2 goes on 2 hours before lights go on and off 1 hour before they go off, I run my lights for 8 hours at 70% and they start to dim at 5, after around 8 1/2 hours they get very dim light for like an hour and a half then go off.

nitrites 0
    Nitrates around 25?
    Phosphates around 5
    Gh 4
    Kh 0, I try to bring it to 1 just to keep the ph a bit more stable since sometimes it goes below 5.5.
    Temperature 79 f 80f at the highest.
    Filter is fluval 206.
    Soil is Amazonia with a bit of power sand underneath, and the sand is Colorado sand from ada.
    rocks are Ohko Stone.

Btw some of the colors on the g5 light are not all the way up, I really don’t know what settings I should be using.

If you can help feel free to ask me anything thanks

174854FD-8975-432A-B304-23C5BF2231AE.jpeg

F541E778-072B-4B1F-8992-4108C4509305.jpeg

40777AE3-3418-4383-B5F1-CD9F296D8307.jpeg

2C80DF86-9A78-403A-996D-BF9D0335537B.jpeg

0972F815-A8B2-43E7-B1E3-4D467B1EF010.jpeg

DC10D336-1E13-43A1-8225-47203E4B1BE8.jpeg

472898CF-B9D7-42D0-92E0-6C5080DAA0A6.jpeg

2. Pauld738

Pauld738 New Member

Local Time:
    Dosing what once a week? Iron or all ferts.

I too thought my issues where iron at one point. Turned out I needed to tweak macros. But it depends on how you dose micros.

My .02 cents on your tank parameters. :)

As for pH, how are you testing? Liquid test kits are horrible on low kh environments. pH monitors usually can handle sub 1 dKh but as you approach 0 dKh they are off more and more. If you are using a monitor then what is your usual drop? Calibration to 4.0 is important.

Even though 4 dGh is within the scale I would say it's low. When I bumped up to 6, plants did much better ( or should I say algae growth backed way off).

Phosphates seem high, although probably not a huge issue. Maybe look into why?

Depends on your micro dosing schedule but iron is usually dosed every other day. If you have an iron deficiency.

Sorry I don't have any experience with the xr15.

My tank pictured is being dosed roughly 1.5 ppm per week Fe spread out over 3x per week dosing. Sometimes I miss a dose.[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

3. ALIEN87

ALIEN87 New Member

Local Time:
    Idk why but I’ve been trying to reply and it doesn’t let me, I replied with more info about my set up and it keeps telling me I can’t post spam or something, there’s nothing spam about what I’m trying to post.

4. ALIEN87

ALIEN87 New Member

Local Time:
    Dosing all fertilizer once a week, but today I dosed a bit of iron. Also phosphates cause I tested and they were Almost zero, even though I dosed 2 ppm yesterday, I do around 60% water change every monday and fertilize with kno3, potassium, phosphate, and iron, I dose the iron then try to wait a bit and dose phosphate. I dose micros twice a week, Monday and usually Friday. for those I use seachem cause I’m not sure how to use the gla brand, I have it but it has iron and magnesium, which I dose separately.

I’m using liquid test for ph, from api and general hydroponics both pretty much give me the same reading. I thought it was the other way and the digital ones were the ones not accurate.

I’ll try raising my General hardness to 5.

And yeah I’m not worried about phosphates other then they keep going to zero. And I forgot to mention potassium, I dose kno3 and bit of potassium separate so Potassium levels should be good I think. I could never find a good test kit for that.

I’m thinking my problem could be that I’m not spreading my doses of iron.

5. ALIEN87

ALIEN87 New Member

Local Time:
    I tested for phosphates right now and they’re already low again as you can see in the pic, from one day to the next from 3 or 4 ppm back to 1, idk if it’s iron messing with phosphates or just my plants taking phosphates? I guess I can’t dose phosphates once a week, it’s things like this that I don’t understand, how others manage to dose once a week? I dosed Monday and phosphates keep going almost back to zero every day.

C06F71AA-E6E3-4311-9E5D-8C0D448B55F2.jpeg

6. Pauld738

Pauld738 New Member

Local Time:
    I wonder if you are getting some kind of weird reaction between phosphate and iron since you are dosing all at once. You would think it wouldn't with the amount of water involved. But that is the reason why you don't mix macros with micros in a bottle. Your pH is pretty low though.

I don't have a phosphate kit right now so I can't check my tank but I can't imagine my phosphate dips too low over the coarse of a week. I get direct sunlight for atleast an hour every day and I can go 2 weeks without seeing a smidge of algae on the sides of the tank. You would think if my phosphates were low I would be seeing GSA a lot more?

I would say dosing phosphates all at once is totally doable. Just not micros. None of the tanks I follow dose all micros up front.

It will be interesting to see what happens with a higher Gh too.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk