Calnutrient Dosing Calculator 'g' (gram) Setting For Premixed Giving Ppms Calcs Off By 1000x

Junior Poster
May 12, 2012
attached screenshot shows 1g of flourish nitrogen adding ~15 grams of N to a 1L aquarium. seems like this bug affects all the compounds under Premixed.

p.s sorry for the typo in the title.

Capture.JPG

Allwissend

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2016
www.intuitiveaqua.net
Thank you for reporting this. There is definitely a bug. In the meantime please divide all your results by 1000.

Please use the milliliter (ML) option for all liquid fertilizers and milligrams (MG) or grams (G) for solids.

The conversion between the 2 (mass and volume) is not correct at this point as it depends on the specific density of the product. In addition, if you consider water as the reference 1mL H2O ~1g, but it mistakenly seems to think 1ml=1mg.

Capture.JPG

Regards,
Mihai

fablau

rotalabutterfly.com
Staff member
Sep 13, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
www.fablauplants.com
Well, sorry guys, but after reviewing the calculator and its results, I think it (kind of) correct. The problem here is that doesn't make sense to use "grams" for a liquid mix like Flourish Nitrogen, therefore you should use ml for liquids and grams or milligrams for solids as Mihai wrote above, otherwise the calculator is going to give unexpected results.

What instead we could do, is to remove the "solid" measurements when a liquid mix is selected, and vice-versa. Do you all agree on that? If so, I could fix it that way.

Thanks.

Allwissend

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2016
www.intuitiveaqua.net
I think your suggestion is a good one @fablau. Graying out unsuitable units also helps reduce confusion and mistakes, although it increases the code. Not to mention is better for sciency guys who like to pick on details. This should also apply when you create a solution. I mean when

(Using : A Solution == TRUE) && (I am calculating for :Result of my dose == TRUE) => I am adding N ml.

However not all the premixed things are solutions, take for example what happens when you add 1mg Seachem Eq. to 1L water: you get 195mg/L K etc. There is 0.001 multiplication missing somewhere.
Capture1.JPG

fablau

rotalabutterfly.com
Staff member
Sep 13, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
www.fablauplants.com
Allwissend, could you please check now, I have fixed that problem, let me know if it works for you now.

Also, in order to disable the liquid units for powder mixes and viceversa, I want to be sure which mixes are liquid and which ones are powders. I don't actually see other powder based mixes listed on the Rotalabutterfly list besides Seachem Equilibrium, but I want to be sure before to proceed... do you see any other mix powder based besides Equilibrium?

Thank you again for your feedback.

Allwissend

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2016
www.intuitiveaqua.net
Hi fablau, thanks for the quick fix.

Looks good now in all configurations (g, ml, mg).
I looked through the list. Besides the Seachem Eq. , i think the GLA Ultimate GH Booster and Trace Mix Plus are also solids.