This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Calculation Of Seachem Flourish Nitrogen

Discussion in 'Rotala Butterfly Support & Feedback Forum' started by LoneWolverine, Jul 9, 2018.

1. LoneWolverine

LoneWolverine New Member

Local Time:
    4:47 PM
    Hi all,

I ran some calculation on the seachem flourish nitrogen fertiliser as it is difficult to access KNO3 directly in Hong Kong and I probably need to use the seachem flourish as my primary N source.

I know the product is mainly for nitrogen increase but there are presence of potassium in it. I don't quite understand the increase in Potassium and Potash as calculated

I understand that the NPK ratio in seachem nitrogen is 1-0-2, which is expressed as N-P2O5-K2O
    Seachem flourish nitrogen 3 .png

I also looked up a little "fact sheet" as provided, which kind of confirmed that the K ratio in NPK is expressed in K2O
    seachem flourish nitrogen 2.png

Do I understand it correctly that since K is expressed as K2O, a 1mg of Nitrogen introduced will also increase K2O by 2mg, and K+ by 2 x (39x2) / (39x2+16) = 1.659mg?

It appears that from the calculator the Nitrogen to K2O ratio is not 1:2 as suggested in the analysis above?
    Seachem Flourish Nitrogen.png

Perhaps (very likely) i missed something from the analysis above, appreciate your time in reading and answering this!

#1 LoneWolverine, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  2. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    12:47 AM
    1-0-2? That's pretty close to 0-0-0 or nothing! If Seachem see's that as best ratio,then hydroponic fertilizers must be blazing hot. I have to remember that.

3. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    There is a professor on youtube who is a long time aquarist and he says the ONLY nutrients plants ever need in aquariums is iron and potassium..and the potassium you get from health food stores is less costly.
    So far,I don't even see a need for Potassium. Only iron is a NEED of water plants..all else they get from water changes and feeding the fish..ammonia and phosphates,nitrates, you and the fish deliver.
    It's only Iron..pref. Iron gluconate, and possibly a dash of a longer term iron.

4. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    3:47 AM
    FloraGro is 2-1-6
    FloraBloom is 0-5-4
    FloraMicro is 5-0-1
    Hydroponics fertilizers are not through the roof.

5. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    No, 5-0-1 is pretty hot for aquarium plants that are like 99% water more or less. Garden ferts are in the 8-14 range..most closer to 8. Lawns and ammonia nitrate fertilizers are 20-0-0. As hot as you can use out of a sack,
    Funny thing is.. 2-1-6 ( and of course the 0-5-4 for blooms only)might be best for Buces as that ( potash or potassium)promotes flowering. I've used that highest number,potassium, on Plumeria's ..got my best ever summer flowers.
    From what I'm getting..go heavy on the Seachem iron and stand back. As of right now,I've got the largest Sword plant I've ever grown in near 45 years and its not done for sure. Before,I would plant them in soils..and what I got was a tight rosette of like a hundred leaves,but none larger than 8" at most. I wondered why my Swords never looked like the ones in books filling a 20 gallon with huge leaves. This E. bleheri is also in a 6" pot with garden soils since last year..only after the iron in November did it just take off.

6. Phishless

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    YouTube, yeah I know pictures and sound.o_O
    You may wish to expand on you reading here https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/fertilisers-why-bother.html

7. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    I will read it..but have you tried Seachem's Iron on a non Co2 tank? If not ..try it. It's not a long wait to see results. If you have the lighting and high water quality you might find like I have so far is,unless your tap water is missing one of those micro ingredients, then I will stick with all you really need is iron gluconate.
    I now look at vids of people who don't use Co2,and see the plants not of a good green color,even if they seem healthy...Seachem would be a big help...but far too many fish vids out there for me to make a dent.
    I think also,that gluconate itself lets plants do what Co2 does..breath and absorb. I think gluconate is more "liquid carbon " than liquid carbon is.
    Try it.

8. Phishless

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I'll stick with my chelated iron, no tanks without CO2.
    Glut is more an algacide anyway.
    Here's what DTPA does for me, not to mention other dosing.
    [​IMG]

#8 Phishless, Jan 22, 2020 at 9:20 AM
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020 at 4:38 PM
  9. Stan510

Stan510 Member

Local Time:
    Looks great PHISH. I guess,I'm preaching to those who want plants with their fish..not so much a plant every square inch aquascape and very few small fish. Seachem for me is like Co2 light...in other words,its a boost you never get or see with a non Co2 fish tank.
    Plus!..no global warming gasses!

Btw,Its not an algaecide. I had said that on another board and the moderator responded that it is not an algaecide.

10. Phishless

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Sorry I changed that to glut.
    I thought you mentioned dosing of Excel?
    Or maybe that was in another thread.
    Sorry, you mentioned liquid carbon, many use the term for Seachem Excel.