This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Calcium Variations in water supply advice.

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by Bishop, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Bishop

Bishop Member

Local Time:
    6:30 AM
    I realize this subject has been flogged to death by now but Couldn't find anything relevant to my current problem.

Have been hounding my council for latest water supply reading ( which they are holding on to for some reason :() And it turns out I am on two water supplies which seem to alternate depending on load etc.
    The problem is I am unsure if I am over thinking the Ca:Mg ratios.
    The differences in numbers between the two water supplies are huge.
    For example Supply 1 has an average of 6.6mg/L Ca and supply 2 has an average of 18.1mg/L Ca with a registered high of 27mg/L. Would be find with it if Mg changed accordingly but it's 1mg/L variation between the two.
    I've tried to balance out the Mg in the weekly dose but as you can imagine that goes from a 2:1 Ca:Mg ratio to a 5:1 ratio if the water changes.

Is that fine you think and nothing to stress over? Or worth testing GH from tap prior to each water change and then dosing accordingly?
    My tank seems to swing from Mg def in Ludwigia Repens ( only this plant ) and then swings to distorted leaves on a few stem species a few weeks later.

Ta.

2. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    5:30 PM
    There is no benefit, that I know of, to maintaining any specific ratio between calcium and magnesium in the water. There might be some benefit to avoiding large changes in that ratio, and there might be some benefit in avoiding large changes in either calcium or magnesium (GH) in the water. My tap water also varies a lot in how much calcium and magnesium is in the water, because that water is a variable mix of well water and river water. I can't say that those variations don't affect my aquarium, but they certainly haven't prevented me from having a nice planted aquarium.

Mike k and Bishop like this.
  3. Bishop

Bishop Member

Local Time:
    6:30 AM
    Thanks Vaughn, I will try and balance it out and just leave it then see how I go.

Mike k likes this.