Calcium for Crypts?

R

Russ

I have some C. usteriana and I finally managed to get one C. aponogetifolia. The aponogetifolia is doing well, growing taller and with new leaves, but the usteriana are just sitting there. I've read where both species like calcium in their water and I'm wondering what a cheap and easy source of it would be?

My tap water is ph 7.3 (rested), GH10, KH4.5. I add 1 teaspoon of baking soda on this tank for these species.

Thanks for any advice.

-Russ

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Do you do water changes? Unless this is a non-CO2 tank and you are doing no water changes, you surely have plenty of calcium in your water with a GH of 10.

I have had c. wendtii seemingly just sit there for over a month. But, all that time it was sending out runners. Next thing I knew it had basically taken over my tank!

R

Russ

tedr108;33539 said:
Do you do water changes? Unless this is a non-CO2 tank and you are doing no water changes, you surely have plenty of calcium in your water with a GH of 10.

Yes, a 70% water change every two weeks with a somewhat reduced EI schedule maintained.

tedr108;33539 said:
I have had c. wendtii seemingly just sit there for over a month. But, all that time it was sending out runners. Next thing I knew it had basically taken over my tank!

I've had the C. usteriana for 6 months. I know well that crypts can be slow, but this is abnormal. I've grown most available crypts for years and C. uteriana and to a lesser degree, aponogetifolia are the only crypts I've had trouble with in this water. Even C. balansae has done very well, which is another Crypt that supposedly likes high PH and minerals.

I'd like to try calcium supplement since a number of references recommend it. Can anyone give me a recommendation on a source of it and how much to dose? :)

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
You can dose CaSO4 (calcium sulfate), but you may want to include MgSO4 (magnesium sulfate) -- a 3:1 (CaSO4 to MgSO4) ratio is usually recommended. You can also try Seachem Equilibrium, which includes some other things. Personally, I do not know how much of the CaSO4 and/or MgSO4 to dose. Seachem Equilibrium has recommended dosing to raise your GH a certain amount -- I would go that route.

Personally, I just don't see how you could be limited in Ca with a GH of 10, but perhaps some plants need even harder water. Just be careful about making your water too hard.

R

Russ

tedr108;33541 said:
Personally, I just don't see how you could be limited in Ca with a GH of 10, but perhaps some plants need even harder water. Just be careful about making your water too hard.

tedr108, thanks for the advice. Maybe it isn't the hardness, it's the only thing I could think of. If you or someone else have some recommendations on what else I could try to get this uteriana going, I'd love to hear it.

More info: I'm using a 50/50 mix of Seachem Onyx and Soil Master Pro as substrate. Seachem Flourish for micros. It should like the Onyx.

thanks again,

-Russ

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
You said you are dosing baking soda. What is your KH? Tom seemed to think that was more likely the problem. You posted at the same time I posted another post ... see previous post.

I have some plants (vals) that seem to suck my KH dry very quickly.

R

Russ

tedr108;33542 said:
I just found an old thread of yours with some responses re: this topic...
http://www.barrreport.com/general-p...alansae-c-aponogetifolia.html?highlight=caso4

Well that's embarrassing, I totally forgot I asked about this last year.:eek: Thanks for taking me by the nose and pointing it out to me.

The balansae took off, the aponogetifolia stalled for a month, then showed modest growth (even better now), and then I got the usteriana, which hasn't shown any growth at all in 6 months.

R

Russ

tedr108;33544 said:
What is your KH? Tom seemed to think that was more likely the problem.
I have some plants (vals) that seem to suck my KH dry very quickly.

KH is 4.5 out of the tap and then I started adding 1/4 teaspoon baking soda twice during a water change cycle. I haven't tried measuring it just before a water change to see if it has been depleted. Maybe that will indicate something.

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
1/4 tsp baking soda isn't going raise the KH much in even small tank. How big is your tank? I have an accurate scale and can tell you how much your KH will go up with 1/4 tsp. I'm guessing way under 1.0.

R

Russ

58 gallons and that's 1/4 tsp X 2 doses (separated by 1 week). 70% water change every two weeks.

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
According to my calculations, 1/2 tsp of baking soda will increase your KH in a 58G tank by 0.3, roughly -- I am assuming that 1/2 tsp of baking soda is approximately 2 grams. So, 1/2 tsp will raise your tank's KH from 4.5 to 4.8 for your tap water. Not much of an increase.

I'm fairly certain that this is accurate. However, if anyone out there notices a mistake, please correct me.