C02 Tanks - Refills - Source - Cost

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi all,

Just as an FYI, I get my c02 bottles refilled at a shop that services fire extinguishers, welding supplies, kegerators, and the like. A google search or yellow pages search for your area should turn something up.

Cost is $7 for a 5 lb refill and $13 for a 10 lb.

Also, the shop I found sells USED 5 and 10 lb bottles. I was able to purchase a FULL 10 lb bottle for about $60 (based on size). While it wasn't as pretty as the brand new shiny 5 lb I bought years ago on the Internet (for twice the money and it was empty of course), it works just as well and lasts a long time.

I realize this is expensive, but is less than buying new, and I wanted to give some sort of benchmark if you are considering a pressurized system.

One other note, the shop had to certify my 10 lb recently as they say it must be done every 5 years. Cost was about $30. Not sure if it is a scam or not, but I have no reason to mistrust the business.

Best of luck to all.

tcomfort

Junior Poster
Jul 24, 2007
Littleton CO
Just as another point of reference, here in the Denver area I also get my CO2 from a fire extinguisher place. It costs $11 for a 20-pound refill. They definitely have to test them every five years, but it only cost me $15 for the 20s, or about $3 per year.

Pressurized CO2 has some up front cost, but it's pretty darn cheap in the long run.

drmarion

Junior Poster
Sep 21, 2007
Hillsborough, NJ
I am in Somerset County New Jersey (Central Jersey) and got my 20lb from Elliotts Beverages in Bridgewater for $55 deposit, $34 for the co2. You drive in their warehouse and they pop it in your car for you.