C02 Conundrum - good enough for plants - bba exists

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Update #2..

I also removed two pieces of wood on the left side..

These no longer block any flow on that end or the back.

So, I have one major flow going from right to left angled downward at the back of the tank.

I have the rio 1000 pointing in the same direction angled downward but on the front of the tank.

The mp20 goes the same direction as the rio but is slightly underneath so it pushes the rio flow further out into the tank and provide the stauro with good flow..

Not sure if this is optimal but we will see.

I think I will keep the sides/back clean and see if I could get a circular type flow. If the fish followed it it would be awesome..

All plants and hardscape would be inside....so to speak..

Videos and pics later...

Last edited by a moderator:

scottward

Guru Class Expert
Oct 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Hi Gerry,

How are things going with your needle wheel and BBA etc?

My AM1000 + DIY Needle wheel sucked through a 6.8kg (15lb) bottle in 2.5 months on my 100g. Disgusting!

Yeah, looking at the result Dutchy is having with his tank using twin AM1000's, I really feel that I'm just doing something wrong here! ;-)

For my size tank, I really should be able to get away with a single AM1000. I'm going to try feeding the output into a spray bar that sits on the substrate at the back of the tank and try to keep the surface of the water dead still. I will keep an eye on the fish, of course.

rogerjackkson

Junior Poster
Mar 10, 2011
I tried to pin wheel for some time, but could not find any advantage of using AM1000. The disadvantage is, I used the more carbon dioxide to obtain the required level. I know Tom has a good performance, mist, fog, but I think the more detailed, the more likely plants will absorb carbon dioxide.

Last edited by a moderator: