Buying Cherry Shrimp in the UK

Barney

Junior Poster
Jun 30, 2007
Does anyone know where I can buy Cherry Shrimp in the UK (either in the Kent area or from good mail order/internet company)?

JamesC

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Kent, UK
I brought mine from Dartford Aquatics. They didn't hold them in stock but got them for me fairly quick.

James

Barney

Junior Poster
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah I think ebay might be the way to go, will check with my LFS to see if they can get any in. Tank is no where near cycled yet so was not looking to get them yet.

ulster exile

Junior Poster
May 2, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Wouldn't it be better waiting until you have a mature, instead of just cycled, tank?

Whilst i have no experience of shrimp (subject to the auction on Sunday ;) ), I understood that in general most were quite sensitive to water quality.

Frolicsome_Flora

Guru Class Expert
Jan 12, 2007
Dorset, UK
Barney;18089 said:
Does anyone know where I can buy Cherry Shrimp in the UK (either in the Kent area or from good mail order/internet company)?

Snail Shop

Very good invert supplier online.

If you get baby shrimp (the most common supplied online) then expect to dump 10 in and not see them for about 6 months! They're tinytinytiny. Make sure you have alot of cover for the little buggers as they're a perfect mouthful for any angels or other predatory types.

Crazymidwesterner

Guru Class Expert
Feb 3, 2007
Dixon IL
I used amano shrimp in my tank after the third week. Heavily planted tanks don't usually spike too high, and amano and cherry shrimp are more resilient then you think.

My Amano's were alive and well until I flooded my house from the 2nd floor down with a unsupervised toilet flush. One insurance claim, $50,000, 7 poor amano shrimp, and an Oto later I'll have a remodeled home :(

Apparently drop ceiling tiles and insulation filled water is not good for an aquarium. Open top aquariums are cool looking but. . . . .

All my cherries survived though!

Life Lesson [HASHTAG]#312[/HASHTAG]: Wait for the toilet to fully flush and stop running before leaving the bathroom and going to sleep. :eek:

Frolicsome_Flora

Guru Class Expert
Jan 12, 2007
Dorset, UK
Crazymidwesterner;18118 said:
My Amano's were alive and well until I flooded my house from the 2nd floor down with a unsupervised toilet flush. One insurance claim, $50,000, 7 poor amano shrimp, and an Oto later I'll have a remodeled home :(

blimey!! thats mental!

garuf

Junior Poster
Jun 27, 2007
You can get them off a women on the TTF forums for £1 per shrimp, £30 got me 23 with shipping, I am assuming you're the same barney as on there? pm if so and ill pass on her details.