This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a new setup - need advice on bulbs

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Carissa, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Carissa

Carissa Guru Class Expert

Hi,
    I am buying a 32g this weekend and it comes with a 2 bulb fixture, the two bulbs it comes with are 20w each, 4100k and a 18000k. Is this ok for growing plants? I'm doing non-co2 and have low light plants so I'm not looking for a setup that produces fast growth, just something that will keep them happy and alive and I don't want the algae to build up too much.

2. phanmc

phanmc Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

The color temp usually doesn't mean much in terms of plant growth, both of those bulbs will grow plants.

Now whether you like the color is a different matter. The 4100k is a cool white and will have a yellowish tint to it (compared to higher k bulbs). The 18000k has a violet tint to it. If you like the colors, keep them. If you think the 4100k is too yellow try a 6500k or above bulb.