This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

But is it made of... wood? A Mr Aqua 45cm cube

Discussion in 'Journals' started by jedimasterben, Jan 20, 2016.

1. onlycrimson

onlycrimson Junior Poster

Local Time:
    11:27 PM
    You found those plants in front of your house?! I'm guessing Florida? Those filter housings are really restrictive because of all the sharp angles the water has to flow through (I assume they were designed for pressurized water filtering), but they will work if the pump is strong enough.

2. jedimasterben

jedimasterben Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I've had a Jeboa DC-6000 on my reef for a little over a year now, recently upgraded it to a DCT-12000 (I got it cheaper than I could a DCT-6000, so figured why not lol). My new skimmer has a DC-2000 pump, so I'm 100% DC when you add in my Maxspect Gyre. I love it! Only thing I hate is that my stand is built kinda funky and the return pump is close to a piece of 3/4" plywood which causes the pump motor to have some resonance noise. There is no way to fix it without physically moving the pump farther away from that wall :(

Yes, I live a few miles north of Lake Okeechobee. :)

The genuine Pentek filter housings are as unrestrictive as possible, as they're made to have as little pressure drop as possible in whole-house filtration. I opened up the little GE or whaever one this one I already have is and even though it has 3/4" connections, the ID of the openings inside is like 3/8". Can't wait to be done with that crap!

I got the two filters in, and my replacement Clippard solenoid and single manifold. Now just waiting on the RODC pump (and some free time to put it all together!) and we should be good to go! Except that my driftwood is still floating lol

2 people like this.
  3. jedimasterben

Local Time:
    So after doing a bit of testing and such, I don't think using the big blue filter as a mechanical filter will really work out well, as it will be difficult to route the water flow through the floss and not get sucked into the rest of the filtration. I am now planning on using the Reef Octopus pump pulling from the drain, pushing into my Hydor inline heater, into my current SunSun 302 canister, into the Pentek 10" canister as the Cerges reactor, then back into the tank, with the CO2 and fertilizer tubing plumbed in before the reactor.

I went to order the APT DC peristaltic pump yesterday and realized that after all is said and done, total cost was around $150 for the pump, enclosure, Meanwell SCW for power, and control converter for the Bluefish Mini. Icecap makes a digital dosing pump that has its own controller built-in for $85, so I am just going to use one of those, instead. Will be here probably late next week along with the pump and my new light for my reef from Coralvue.

I finished up my CO2 regulator the other day, and then realized that I only ordered two 1/8" x 1/4" quick connect tube converters instead of the three I needed (one on the regulator, two in the plumbing for the CO2 and ferts to get into the water column). Whoops. That should arrive in the next couple of days.

I finally got my new LEDs and thermal epoxy so I can get started on the updated light.

I also have a plan for getting the driftwood to stay down, it STILL isn't waterlogged. I will drill a couple of tiny holes in the bottom and run fishing line through, then I will silicone the fishing line itself to the bottom of the tank, this way the line would be completely unable to release since it would be covered from all sides. Hopefully I can stop being lazy and get the tank drained and get that going :D

2 people like this.
  4. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    thanks for putting this journal together. The details and photos are nice. Great cabinet work! wish I was capable of something like that or at the least had the tools in order to give it a try.

5. jedimasterben

Local Time:
    Thank you! I'm really lucky to have a carpenter for a dad and my grandpa has a massive shop with loads of tools, though I still insist on buying my own for the most part so i can have my own collection :D

6. jedimasterben

Local Time:
    Forgot, this past weekend I got the LEDs on the heatsink and soldered them all up. Still don't have the clamp that will attach the gooseneck to the tank, so I can't get them attached to the driver board yet.

Basically each cluster of LEDs is in parallel. The big Bridgelux arrays will be run on 1A drivers, which will give 500mA to each, and the rest will be run on 700mA drivers, giving 350mA to each. The lime/cyan I may even give less than that, as they are super easy to overpower the look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm also not sure if I should paint the gooseneck, still trying to get that figured out.

2 people like this.
  7. r45t4m4n

r45t4m4n New Member

Local Time:
    Impressive project. Interested in how the LED turns out.

8. jedimasterben

Local Time:
    Should work out similar to the array I already have, it's just scaled up a bit :)

9. vision

vision Junior Poster

Local Time:
    really curious to see how these led's work out for you, great build!

10. jedimasterben

Local Time:
    So after quite a long pause, I'm finally doing something about this tank - I'm taking it and making it low tech lol. I removed the Cerges reactor so that I could use the canister with the bulkhead like I'd planned without needing a separate pump to bring flow up where it needs to be (IMHO). So I removed all of that, so just the big SunSun 304B pulling from one 3/4" bulkhead and pushing back into the other, two of the four baskets filled with filter floss, and when i went to rinse my bag of Purigen before regenerating it, the bag opened up, so I ordered another from Amazon, will be here on Wednesday.

After that, I completely drained the tank and removed the sand, scraped the old silicone off the bottom that was supposed to hold the driftwood log down, then drilled some holes in the wood and put some zip ties through it. I siliconed all over, under, and around the zip ties to the bottom of the tank - I'll be a monkey's uncle if that bastard floats back up!! :D

Then, while riding my 'high' of getting everything else ready, I was finishing up the light, got the driver board mounted in the enclosure, got the BF mini attached, and powered it all on to test it, and realized I wired something wrong. No biggie, two minutes with a soldering iron and it was all fixed. So I walked over, set the gooseneck mount on the tank, tightened the screws... and watched the heatsink sink quickly under its own weight. The gooseneck is simply not strong enough to hold the light up. FML. The mount point on the tank is also physically too small IMHO, it will break the glass if I bump the light too hard, so I will have to figure something else out, unfortunately.

For the time being, I can just move the old light onto the new tank. It won't reach to the center of the tank, and the gooseneck threading is borked so it is a little wobbly, but it will at least do for now. Ugh. If it's not one thing, it's another!!

11. jedimasterben

Local Time:
    Ok, so after taking both lights apart, I was able to get the old light's gooseneck and mount attached to the new light, and the threads did mate up and it is snug enough where I feel comfortable spending roughly 50% of my time away from the tank lol.

The light is incredibly strong. The drivers I'm using are LDD-700H for the white and 350H for the cyan/lime and royal blue/blue/violet. Full power on everything doesn't look great (have to tweak the driver amperage to get a better color ratio) but is strong - over 250 PAR on the bottom of the tank, roughly 24" away from the light, and over 450 at the water's surface. I tweaked the color ratio to find one I like (though the tank water is already getting browner from tannins from the wood, damnit) and then tuned that ratio down to around 50 PAR on the sandbed, which will peak for four hours, and spend the other 8 hours ramping up/down.

[​IMG]

Shortly after this photo I pulled all the plants and wood and stuff from the old tank and put it in this one. Just tossed it in since it's already late here, so I'm beat as it is, will worry about getting it aquascaped over the next few days or so. The guppies that are left just don't know what to do with all the extra space lol.

12. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    3:27 PM
    Missed your absence with this great journal of gadgets and information. Keep updating please

13. jedimasterben

Local Time:
    I'll be sure to stick around more now that it's wet :)

Sorry for the poor photos, but it's still a mess in here, so no sense in breaking out the DSLR just yet! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. jedimasterben

Local Time:
    Got my bag of Purigen in yesterday, gonna nip the tannins from the wood in the bud!

Also probably going to go this weekend and get more guppies. There are like seven or eight left (along with one neon tetra and my clown pleco) and are mostly male, so they'll likely kill the females by trying to bone too much if I don't go and get more.

15. jedimasterben

Local Time:
    So turns out Purigen isn't the greatest at removing tannins lol. I have a small bag of ROX 0.8 carbon hanging in the tank right now and it has helped tremendously. It doesn't look the greatest, of course, but it works :)

I have gone to six different stores, two LFS and four big box ones, and not a single one has had female guppies. blech.

Got a shipment of plants in yesterday from a user on TPT. Told him I wanted some of the different Rotala that he was selling and to just 'fill in' the rest of the box with whatever he wanted. Holy crap. He sent me nine or ten different species and at least five stems each! There were so many that I just ended up sticking some wherever I could! Went through a crash course in plant scaping :D

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. jedimasterben

Local Time:
    This was a couple of days ago, getting some decent growth already. Not bad for no CO2, no ferts, and no water changes :)

[​IMG]

17. jedimasterben

Local Time:
    Tank is cruising, plants are growing like fire. Having a big problem with flow and I don't like it, was hoping to get away with no powerheads, but that isn't an option unfortunately, detritus is collecting in the tank and even on the plants :(

27306443172_4f3bf4d9bc_o.jpg

27306439752_0239a322f6_o.jpg

27333351001_9b7719f3f2_o.jpg

26797651263_16340ecf6d_o.jpg

26797647443_a0bbd62eae_o.jpg

26797644163_7249f510d1_o.jpg

27370833696_2834c623dd_o.jpg

27370832086_da3d50e86a_o.jpg

18. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    The output nozzle with the venturi. Where did you get that?

19. jedimasterben

Local Time:
    It is an eductor, you can get them at BRS, Glass-holes, Amazon, pretty much anywhere.

20. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    Thanks.. Need to replace my flare ones with these.