Burkett Solenoid leak...

oldpunk

Guru Class Expert
Dec 1, 2009
I hope you didn't put it back together like you have it in this last pic. Because the part with the spring in it is backwards.

kevmo911

Oct 19, 2010
Greensboro, NC
I just read the part where the guy on the phone told you that you'd hear the buzzing if it was running. I hear my solenoid buzzing occasionally - all of them, in fact - but only occasionally. I feel like that's fairly normal, and on those occasions where I'm annoyed by it, I just unplug and replug it and I get quiet. So don't assume it's not working if it's not buzzing. Only assume it's not working if it doesn't click.

jerrybforl

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2010
Miami Beach, FL.
Wow ok Oldpunk...Thanks. That is what I was afraid of. I will remove and flip it around.

@ Oldpunk...Are you saying that the rubber end is backwards?

jerrybforl

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2010
Miami Beach, FL.
DSCN3789.jpg

I have a few questins.

1. The rubber end should face out?

2. The spring should go into the rod?

oldpunk

Guru Class Expert
Dec 1, 2009
Yes. The spring side goes into the rod. The rubber part is what makes a seal against the orifice. That little spring pushes the rubber part into the orifice until the coil powers on and pulls it back.

jerrybforl

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2010
Miami Beach, FL.
Yeah I'm learning a lot too Matt! I never thought about opening it up until the guys at AP.com said to.

You called it though Matt...dang teflon tape! I'll open it up tomorrow and switch it around. Thanks for all of the input guys...

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
Credit where credit is due: LeftC was the one who initially suggested the teflon tape (he said silicone tape, but meant teflon). ;)
What did they say about the seal tear?

jerrybforl

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2010
Miami Beach, FL.
They said that it shouldn't make a big deal. It was a very small snag, and I don't think it will effect it's purpose. Remember it's the one that goes over the rod not the one that seals the casing.

I will take pics of it too, so you guys can see what I am referring to.

jerrybforl

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2010
Miami Beach, FL.
Ok guys, so I opened the solenoid up again and took it apart. I plugged it in, and I can definitely hear the click the guy was talking about. It almost pops when I plug it in and pull it out. The guy said that is the gate shutting.

So here are some pics.

1. The small ORing on the rod. This is the one with the small snag. It wasn't bad mind you. Just a little tear that I simply pulled off. Very small.

DSCN3800.jpg

2. This is the IMPROPER way to reassemble.

DSCN3801.jpg

3. The PROPER way to reassemble.

DSCN3804.jpg

4. These last two are it re-installed into the rod.

DSCN3818.jpg

DSCN3811.jpg

Hope this gives you guys a guide line on how to take your 6011 Burkett Solenoids apart. Remember to be careful with the heads of the screws. I will test it later on a tank and make sure it is working properly.

jerrybforl

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2010
Miami Beach, FL.
Tools and installation...

Tools

1. Crescent

2. Star Head (not sure, but I believe it's an 1/8... that's what the guy from AP.com told me)

3. In this case, I had to tap the head. I used a 1/8 drill bit to tap out the head. I didn't bother with tapping into the threads. If need be, I can use a smaller bit and bore it out.

Installation

1. Remove your BC as they usually have a fluid in them. This will keep you from handling the reg in an awkward position.

2. Remove the nut from the solenoid

3. Carefully pull apart the two components

4. When unscrewing the small screws from the actually solenoid chamber, be careful not to stripe the the heads. If you strip them, you will have to tap the heads out!
A. Learning from experience, it is best to leave the other screws in while you tap out the bad head.
B. This way the internal components will not spring out at you. This was my issue, and I replaced them back in backwards. Thanks again Oldpunk...

5. The plunger, as the AP.com guys call it, faces out from the rod. ***See pics in previous post***

6. The spring goes inside the plunger, the thing with small black rubber head, with the spring going into the rod. The plunger covers the small center hole inside the solenoid.

7. Replace the screws. Be careful the ORing from inside doesn't fall out.

8. Plug it in and see if it makes the clicking noise. Do this by plugging it in and out once or twice. You will hear the click.

If you guys need to see the pics, let me know. I will edit this thread, and I will place pics in here underneath the step by step.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Matt F.;89998 said:
VERY informative thread. First one I've seen like it. Thanks for making it. Sticky?

Stuck as requested :) There are NO other informative threads on this site? I disagree with that,, pretty sure you even wrote one or two.....

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
Gerryd;89999 said:
Stuck as requested :) There are NO other informative threads on this site? I disagree with that,, pretty sure you even wrote one or two.....

LoL, I meant on the topic of breaking down a burkert solenoid. First time I've seen one a part. ;)
I learned a lot by seeing this thread.

jerrybforl

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2010
Miami Beach, FL.
Gerry I looked all over and found nothing! I'm glad that you guys were able to to get some benefit from this. I didn't get to check to make sure it worked as I am at the AGA convention. I will check when I get back.

Thanks to MattF, LeftC, and Oldpunk. They helped get me through this issue!!!

Bettatail if you could add some pics to show what you are referring to. This would show more to what I showed...

bettatail

Guru Class Expert
Apr 1, 2011
will do, but did that on Parker solenoid long time ago, probably will show the inside of Mac solenoid, currently have one broken unit that is partially disassemble.