Building a New System for almost 2 years in the making

inkslinger

Guru Class Expert
Dec 15, 2007
Will since 2008 I started in collecting my equipment for my new filter system for my 110g tank 60x18x24 . Since I have gotten a Blue-Line 55HD,Nu-Clear 547,533 filters and a 3/4 inch Mazzie an all in a 1 inch intake and 2 -1 inch returns.
I finely crank it up today! With a couple of tiny leaks it is up an running, I put a check valve on the Mazzie {it was dripping } because my co2 regulator is not set-up yet and my co2 tank needs to be inspected .
I have a lot of Big Bubbles coming out on the returns, is this because of there is nothing hook up on the Mazzie {except the check valve} so its sucking air? Will some of the big bubbles get smaller when I start to add my co2 and tweak my Mazzie Ball Valve? Worse come to Worse I can build a co2 reactor.
I don't mine all the tiny micro bubbles flowing around in the tank it's the big ones going strait up, if I had my co2 running I think I will be losing a lot of it here.
Now my question is my Nu-Clear 533,547 , I notice it only has a 1/4 full of water? Will the 533 fill up as it gets dirty? I thought it was spouse to be filled?

:gw

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Htomassini

The nuclears have a thumb screw on the lid to vent the air. As the filter runs open the screw slowly till you feel air escaping close it when water reaches the top of the lid. For your mazzei put an airline hose and clamp it shut with a spring clip till u get the co2 running The air u are getting is from the nuclears.

inkslinger

Guru Class Expert
Dec 15, 2007
Some one told me to revers my check valve would that help? and thanks about that thumb screw tip Htomassini

H

Htomassini

No prob. The problem with reversing the check valve is that it may squirt water out.

inkslinger

Guru Class Expert
Dec 15, 2007
yep found that out ! I put a valve on it an close it . Then I released the air from the Nu-Clear but I'm still getting a air leak from some where an I think is at the intake . Will all the micro bubble in the tank be enough to collect back in the filter thru the intake ?

inkslinger

Guru Class Expert
Dec 15, 2007
Finely I think I got it!! It's PURRRRRRING like a kitten , My intake I built has a 1/2 inch Brass Plug on top so that I can prime my Blue-Line Pump, I forgot to add some pipe tape!!
Once I corrected this and added some rubber feet to the pump and tighten the plug down as far as I could with pipe tape it was Purrrrrring ,
All the bubbles are gone from my Mazzie {until I start up my co2 at the end of the month} All that air sucking, bubbles getting thru the pump and out thru the returns are gone and my Nu-Clear filters are both staying full of water!!!
What type of plants and fish can I get for a tank with high temp's ? , I am going to put a clip fan to the pump to cool it out a little.

H

Htomassini

What temp? Ikeep my discus tank at 83 and everything is growing. Swords crypts glosso vals. Etc.

inkslinger

Guru Class Expert
Dec 15, 2007
I will post pic's soon of my new system . My temp now with this Blue-Line pump stays 84-86 before with my old system was 76-78 . Got to get info on fish and plants that will live in these temps. I wanted to get Red Line Torpedo Barb's but now that's not going to happen with these high temps , Does any one know if Rainbows would work? I just send out my co2 tank to get it tested an filled and waiting on a new solenoid to arrive by the end month so I can start adding plants.

inkslinger

Guru Class Expert
Dec 15, 2007
Will here are some pic's of my finish tank, Now too fill with new plants and fish!
I replace my gravel with ECO Complete , my in-line system was change from 3/4in too 1in with 2 returns.
My Eheim Pro 2 2028 was replace with Nu-Clear 533,547 filters and a Blue Line 55HD 1100gph pump and added a Mazzie to replace my AM1000 reactor on the second leg of my system ,
My 3 pairs of t5 54w stays the same , the only thing I got to do is get my 5lb co2 tank inspected an fill and add my new solenoid valve at the end of the month and install my timer for my lights.

DSC_0066.JPG

DSC_0061.JPG

DSC_0064.JPG

DSC_0068.JPG

DSC_0044.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

inkslinger

Guru Class Expert
Dec 15, 2007
I might need help ! Might need to redo this set up or at lest half of it ! I don't have much room under the cabnet, If you can send some pic's to give me some idea's of what I need to change. My system is running great plenty of flow!! B U T the heat is steady at 88F in the tank!! . The weather here in MA is steady at 60-68F

DSC_0063.JPG

DSC_0066.JPG