This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

building a diy carbondoser ext500

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by wagz, Sep 2, 2012.

1. wagz

wagz Junior Poster

Local Time:
    2:10 AM
    I ordered some plants from aquariumplants.com and decided to try their internal 500 reactor after talking to them. They made it seem like they engineered it high tech and it is miles ahead of anything out there. Here are pics.

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p540/wagz3/5ad25568.jpg
    http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p540/wagz3/8e581f1c.jpg
    http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p540/wagz3/5824acdb.jpg

This is obviously nothing more than dozens of threads about building your own out of a vacuum tube and power-head. They didn't even try to look all that professional, looks like the tore the hole in the bottom. for $45, I'm sending it back.

So I looked at the cerge design, and it appears they have copied this as well, for their corbondoser ext 500, adapting a power head to it. Same one as internal, rio 90. This uses same house filter, but clear, and they seal the power cord opening somehow. would take out the 90 degree bends.

Question would be this: problem with reactor is decreasing flow from canister. I have a fluval 406 which rates at 383 gph.
    OK so you have 300+ going into reactor. But then at the bottom of the reactor you have a 85 gph rio 90 sealed to the outlet. Am I right that there is no way for the outflow into the tank to be any more than 85gph whether you have a fluval 206 or some fx5 super pusher hooked up?
    Am I wrong about this? How could anymore gph be put into the tank, and that just doesn't seem to be enough. Or do I have this all wrong and I'm missing something? I would like to build this reactor, with a rio pump for $15, house filter container $25 pulse pvc, fittings etc. but why would I want to decrease output of canister to 85gph max, unless I'm an engineering idiot about the flow issue.

Thanks.

#1 wagz, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2012
  2. wagz

wagz Junior Poster

Local Time:
    building a diy carbondoser ext500

I must clarify. I am returning internal reactor and interested in building the external version:
    http://www.aquariumplants.com/Carbon..._p/ext5000.htm

I don't see how the flow could bypass the rio pump as it's plugged right into the exit tube in the cerge reactor design

3. Gbark

Gbark Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I would like to see a better picture of this setup but it looks to me that they have just taken a filter housing from an RO unit and modified it. Nothing New really!

They have however put a powerhead in the bottom, they state that this causes extra turbalance to help dissolve co2, not sure if this will help any more or less!

As for flow through the reactor that would depend on your pump, i would suggest using a hobby pump and have it sepearate to your main filter.

Seems expensive though :)

too add, it looks like they have a space for your pH probe, again for me this is too close to the reactor and i would not use that function.

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I made these things nearly 15 years ago:

Mine is a better design(I made them after all and they were copied by 2-3 companies for awhile)
    http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/41-DIY-internal-Reactor-great-for-Yeast-CO2-users!
    This is from 1995, long before any of these outfits even had websites or used email.

I also have a reference from TFH on DIY yeast CO2 for increasing plant growth.....from 1962.
    Dosing ferts around the same targets as EI, 1966.
    Adding CO2 to about 40-50ppm from around 1990.

5. gsjmia

gsjmia Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I used to have my reactor in-line after my canister pump and about every 2 or 3 months the tank would crash.

I tried venturi reactors, Grigg's reactors, made huge thing out of 3" pvc and nothing helped.

I was ready to toss the whole thing.

I think it was because as the canister gets dirty the flow decreases, you clean the canister and the flow increases, which throws off the Co2-not consistent.

In my head I thought this was wouldn't cause a problem because I still had good flow.

I switched to a wet/dry sump and still have the Co2 on the return line from the sump-pump but have not had a crash in the year since I made the switch. Everything is growing great with no algae.

The sump-pump is a constant flow and is not dependent on dirty media.

I don't know if the crashes stopped because of constant Co2 or other benefit from the wet/dry, but I believe the inconsistent Co2 had a lot to do with it.

Just my experience and theory on what happened.

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Yes, many folks had those same cycles as the flow decreased, so did the CO2. PITA!

The internal venturi I designed is independent of the filtration system, so it is fine and can also throttle DIY yeast CO2 using the pump and the burp hole.