Bugs?

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
I'm not sure where to post this. I found two bugs in the tank today (no pics because I squashed them), ugh. They looked a little like the immature azalea lace bug or a wingless bark louse/whatzit, about the size of a dime. It's just I would like to know if I need to do anything, (other then be grossed out from the whole thing). Yes, killing it was purely a visceral response. But this poor creature, trying to make a way in the world, just creeped me out. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Yummy Treat

Hi Tug,

Sounds like as long as you don’t have azaleas or lantana, you have no real problem. The bark lice are a beneficial bug. :)

Either of them are fish food. Your Angels ought to appreciate. Me, I might think about trying to culture them, especially if they are bark lice. ;)

I understand your reaction to the bugs and I am not trying to preach (which of course means that is exactly what I am going to do), do not be so quick to kill things, especially in a manner that renders identification impossible. :eek:

Frankly, the majority of the critters we encounter in the aquarium are if not beneficial at least benign. This is particularly true if you are following good practices.

Biollante

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
Ugly Duck

A couple weeks after we spoke I found a few more of these naiad or larva things and, er-ah, flushed them. Well, one day a small dragonfly showed up in the bathroom near the tank. There is no place it could have gotten in from outside. What I think I had were Dragonfly Naiads. Now, while they are predators and small fry might get eaten, it sure was cool to see something wonderful come from this. Because as larva they are unbearably ugly.

I found this to be a great bug blog What's That Bug?

Naiad.jpg

Naiad or larva.jpg

DaBub

Guru Class Expert
Oct 18, 2009
Thar be Dragons

no expert I.:eek:

but thar be dragons! :eek:

most assuredly a dreadful circumstance! :(

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ

DaBub

Guru Class Expert
Oct 18, 2009
Oops!

i ought know better:eek:

another talking too:(

bugs are icky! :eek:

sometimes you are more Gandalf the Grey then Biollante the Evil Plant Monster ;)

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
Putting aside the iciness of bugs is difficult for many people. I admit it, I'm one of those who have a hard time with some of them. Mostly a cultural thing. If I could only see them as a snack it might help. So, speaking of exotic snacks, what live treats have gone into your tank? Earthworms have been placed on the ends of fish hooks for as long as I remember, but so has stinky cheese. Any experience with live foods for fish or DIY recipes? I could use some interesting bug stories, particularly any with a disaster involved.

DaBub, (little barefooted pilgrim) - I believe that would be Gandalf the white, now that the old man has come back from the dead.

DaBub

Guru Class Expert
Oct 18, 2009
Creepy Crawly Things

Hi Tug,

Biollante loves worms and bugs and creepy crawly things. Visiting Biollante is a visit to the zoo, a very strange zoo but a zoo none the less.

Between Biollante, the LoudCreature and the ThingWhatSpawnedTheLoudCreature, I doubt there is much they cannot raise and coax into reproducing.

Though be careful with the Dragonflies, they will snack on your smaller fish.

I have been trying to talk Biollante into blogging as the Cheapskate Aquarist (trust me, Biollante is cheap:D), maybe add in Raising Tasty Treats.

DaBub aka The little barefoot pilgrim.:cool:

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Tasty Creepy Crawly Things

Hi Tug,

Just want to make sure I was clear, I think raising the Dragonflies is interesting and good for the local environment if you release them in the spring. Dragonflies are a threat to your aquarium.

The easiest live foods for fry is infusoria, a little aquarium water in a dish, a piece of lettuce, I like Romaine, doesn’t really matter, par boiling helps, but isn’t necessary, leave it set for a couple days to a week.;)

I know my little barefooted pilgrim fan club thinks I should publish this stuff,:) but there are plenty of excellent sites out there that do a wonderful job explaining the how’s, whys and wherefores of culturing all kind of critters. :gw

http://fins.actwin.com/mirror/live-food.html#infusoria,
http://www.livefishfoodshop.com/
http://www.sydneycichlid.com/live-food.htm
http://www.caudata.org/daphnia/#what1

I keep cultures of Rotifers, Moina and Copepods all the time. I inoculate many of my tanks with Rotifers and Copepods.

How about vermiculture? Take care of waste recycling and document shredding all in one and no problem keeping them in even the smallest apartment! :eek:

Biollante

DaBub

Guru Class Expert
Oct 18, 2009
I Was Scared of Butterfies

Growing up little girls were supposed to love butterflies, don't know why they just gave me the heebie-geebies. :eek:

Now in my apartment I have six cultures of various little creatures, the copepods and Moina are almost worthy of raising just because they are fascinating. If you want those Angels of yours to love you, just squirt a baster full of 'pods in the tank some evening.:D

For pure joy of experiencing the grand reaction at a little dinner party (emphasis on little in my apartment), just drag out the vermiculture. :eek: These little guys eat all the greens and most of the junk mail, I get stuff from a couple of my neighbors just to keep the little gals fed.