Bucephalandra Roots Melting

Nam

Nov 29, 2017
Adelaide
Hey guys, been reading a bit but first time posting. I’m trying to isolate an issue with my bucep since my new tank.

Has anyone ever incurred bucep roots rotting away? My bucep grow aerial roots and seems any growing too long and not hitting hard surface will go clear and rot away. If in close proximity they seem to attach.

I dose ei once a week and do 50% water changes with RO water rebuffered with salty shrimp Bee shrimp. ADA substrate with Chihiros twin aqua sky Custom LED combo.

I have noticed in my own opinion buce seems to dislike too much co2 in my set up and starts dropping leaves.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

42F4889B-9B4A-4C85-8304-99C35C84A98B.jpeg

F97438E3-D5EB-49AF-8484-94ED6F51D495.jpeg

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
Orange County, CA
Buce roots can melt during transitioning just like the leaves.
As far as yours goes in your situation it looks like ammonia burn.

Buce new roots submerged are a good solid and a bit white
mine are starting to turn red
x6Cjb1C.jpg

jealous much?
S7ZzJIi.jpg

NYyCgnh.jpg

You have an awesome tank there. Please start a journal if you have not.

tiger15

Aug 12, 2017
NJ
I bought all my Buce from nursery mail order. They are emerged grown plants, and IME, all emerged leaves eventually died off and replaced with new leaves, but it takes a long time, as much as 1 to 3 months. I think the roots are also replaced slowly. The dying leaves are infested with BBA, and dying roots turn black. As long as new leaves are coming up, I don’t worry. I have flowers emerged among new and dying leaves, so I know the plant is healthy. I have CO2 injection and medium lite.

Nam

Nov 29, 2017
Adelaide
Hi Dennis,

No ammonia present, the tank is fully cycled and many of these plants are old submerse plants several months old. Something seems to be upsetting them not allowing them to grow prolifically.

Has anyone had negative effects from too much Co2 or too much light with Buce?

Dennis Singh

SynKing!
May 5, 2013
Orange County, CA
The light and co2 go hand and hand
If anything I would say more co2?

It could be too much light
What are those dull looking erios in front, indicating not enough co2?

If its not ammonia burn then sorry i do not know.