Brownish Fluffy Algae

Steven Pituch

Dec 30, 2020
Hallettsville, TX
I’ve had this 40 gal breeder tank set up for about a month. Gradually trying to get it heavily planted. I have an algae that is hard to see. Tends to fluff up with gas bubbles. I would like some advice on how to control it.

I have 4000 lumens of 6000k light from led strips but they are dialed down quite a bit. Nh4=0, no2=0, no3=20ppm, kh=251 ppm, Gh=358 ppm, calcium=140 ppm, Mg=218 ppm, ph=7.5, co2= 13.3 ppm. TDS tank water 501 ppm. Out of tap tds= 435 ppm. Difference likely from adding ferts. Using liquid EI doing alternate days for traces and macros. 50% h2o change on seventh day.

I am getting a new diffuser to try to up the co2. It’s hard to remove the algae as it kind of dissolves between your fingers. Using capsules with osmocote, kno3, kh2po4, csm+b for swords and Val. Narrow leaf swords are a bit yellowish.

I appreciate any help.

Regards,
Steve Pituch

366FC5D7-D77A-4A6C-9304-754C29B5C24A.jpeg

Steven Pituch

Dec 30, 2020
Hallettsville, TX
Water is very hard well water. Substrate is Safe-T-Sorb with a cap of local river sand which washes very clear. I do not know the amount of silicates in the well water or if it is leaching from the substrate. I will have a silicate test kit by next week.
48B669B7-5452-4A3B-B4B5-B6F0DBD0BFEC.jpeg

Reactions: jbs47

Steven Pituch

Dec 30, 2020
Hallettsville, TX
Yes,
But the sponge filters were way too big. I wanted more room to add plants. I eventually replaced them with a Fluval 2217 filled 90% with bio media and the rest with filter fluff.
The Val and hygrophila showed up so the rear of the tank is pretty well packed. So are the front sides.
So then the fish and snails came. 25 nerite snails, 24 sunburst plates, and 5 otos are doing well with the brown algae, but won’t touch the stringy stuff which is my main problem. I have incorporated 11% Fe in DTPA into my traces and the yellow leaves are gone. I wanted to shoot a photo of the tank, but had a total knee replacement on Weds so give me a while on that one.
Regards,
Steve

Steven Pituch

Dec 30, 2020
Hallettsville, TX
Here is the new photo of the tank. The string algae is greatly reduced. I removed a lot of it with a tooth brush, and this time it hasn’t come back, which has me in shock. I was told this would happen if I got “balance” but has just so surprised me now. The biggest change was the addition of Fe/DTPA to my traces, but the sudden addition of snails, platys and Otos to the mix I felt was going to show a negative effect. I’m counting my blessings. One shortage of a trace element can wreak havoc on a tank.

4D5ADC96-B59F-4547-80FF-B88FF7A83F5A.jpeg