This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Brown hair taking over

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by rbass, Nov 25, 2006.

1. rbass

rbass Junior Poster

Hello,
    Have a two-part problem;tank is 80g,has been on EI since set up 13 months
    ago,has two cannister filters with a UV filter and 260w of light.I have recently
    developed a severe problem with algae that looks like brown hair.I haven`t
    changed dosing,every WC I remove nearly all of it and by next WC it`s back,a
    lot!
    The next problem is probably the cause(I think).Tank has a complete CO2
    system purchased from on-line vendor with Milwaukee ph controller and external
    reactor.PH is set at 6.2 but the ph never goes below 6.3 or 6.4,therefore the
    system never shuts off.Stays on but ph doesn`t drop.This doesn`t make sense
    to me with my limited experience.All help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Rich B.

2. PeterGwee

PeterGwee Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

It's a CO2 issue since EI rules out the nutrients. pH controller stinks due to the fact it assumes that the KH stays the same which might not be always the case. What is your KH by the way? I'll suggest you stop using the controller and just add CO2 during the day via a steady bubble rate and shut it off at night.

Regards
    Peter Gwee