This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Brown Hair Algea

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by mmfed01, Aug 2, 2010.

1. mmfed01

mmfed01 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    4:24 PM
    60 gal cube 24x24x24
    moderate plant growth + some java moss and Riccia Fluitans
    AquaticLife 6000k HID ran 6-8 hours a day
    Pressurized CO2, SPIRO 9900 diffuser
    Water parameters: VERY hard water 300ppm
    CO2 level low even at 3-5bps (trying to get a nice green on drop checker) *problem*
    Minimal surface agitation
    fluval 405 filter w/Purigen
    Flourite Red substrate
    Azoo substrate circulation pipes

has given me a heavy stringy brown hair algae growth all over tank...even with weekly water changes. Haven't started dosing until I can get the CO2 level straight *problem*

any tips would be appreciated....

Thanks,

Mike

2. ibanezfrelon

ibanezfrelon Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Hi!
    This is a deep tank , but i still think the light is a bit too strong.. ..it's a 150w HID , right?

How far is the light from the water surface?

Besides the light , i think the problems are the stuff that you marked as a problem... ..low co2 & low ferts..

What about the flow? A flow that is well setup should ensure that co2 bubbles from that 9900 are being distributed all over the tank , i think that only Fluval's flow is not enough , i have it in 180lit and it's not enough..

With that bright light you need to increase that co2 and start dosing ferts

3. mmfed01

mmfed01 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Hi, thanks for the reply. The Fixture is approx 14 inches from the surface of the water. I've got a glass top on the tank as well. The flow in my estimation is fairly good. The Azoo Filter pipes have a powerhead output that moves water in combination with the Fluval 405. I do have a spare 305 that I keep as a backup filter that I could install as well. I just did a water change and I'll dial up the C02 a bit more.......