This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Brown Hair Algae? Need help...

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by wasserman, Sep 14, 2012.

1. wasserman

wasserman Junior Poster

Local Time:
    1:57 PM
    Hi Gurus

View attachment 3577 View attachment 3578

I need help on your advice, suggestions, anything to get rid of these algae please..
    I believe they are brown hair algae.

Tank Spec:
    Volume: around 79gallon (300L)
    Lighting: 8x23watt (184watt) Spiral PLC 6500K, 10hrs daily, 10" away from the water surface
    Filtration: Jebo 839 + one 500L/H power head
    Substrate: New Amazonia ADA Soil
    Fertilization: K2CO3 10ppm daily (daily water change at the first one week, every other day on the 2nd week, every 3 days on the 3rd, and every 4 days on the 4th week)
    CO2: pressurized CO2 around 6bps through power head
    Temperature: 30 Celcius
    Water source: tap water (reading: pH=7; KH=6; GH=12; NO3=10ppm)
    Tank's reading: pH=6.5; KH=6; GH=12

I plant quite heavily with stem plants (Rotala rotundifolia, Rotala sp. Green, Rotala nanjean, Hygrophilla difformis), crypts (green tropica, brown tropica, Mi Oya), Microsorum pteropus "Lectus", moss (Vesicularia reticulata), and Lilaeopsis brasiliensis.

My 1st scape was on May 2012. Everything was good until my 2nd month passed. The algae appeared :mad:, I rescaped on July 2012.
    Another month was okay, but from August 2012 until present the algae reappeared....:mad:

The algae infected all plants and some covered the soil.
    I once used H2O2, which I overdosed, I think, because the mosses turned black, wilted, and some were dead.
    A few of the stem plants' lower stem were turned to black, and the lower leaves wilted.
    And there was surface scum too...

Is it possible due to lack of nutrients? since ADA soil is nutrient rich...
    I only dose K2CO3 10ppm every day.
    Do I have to dose Macro and Micro too?

Really need help please...

Thank you
    Hans

#1 wasserman, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2012
  2. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    That's a lot of algae you have. You certainly have to dose macros and micros. These are essential nutrients to make plants grow. If there's no growth, you get algae. Lots of plants take the nutrients from the water column, the roots just function as an anchoring device.

I'm not sure your plants can be saved at this moment, you might have to remove all of them again. But make sure you have all the nutrients to feed them from day 1 you put them in the tank. After you take the plants out, do a few big water changes to get rid of the algae spores, or take out all the water including the top layer of soil that has algae. Also clean your filter well.

Focus on plant growth, and algae won't have much chance. you might want to read more about the Estimative Index on this site, to make sure there's always enough nutrients in the water.

Seems like you are in the high light region, you could try to use only 6 x 23W.

3. Marcel G

Marcel G Banned

Local Time:
    And what if the cause of this problem are not nutrients, dutchy?
    He will trash all his plants, buy new ... then begin to fertilize according to EI ... and the algae issue comes again? What then? To trash another batch of plants? If nothing else I would use the solution from KMnO4 (they sell it at pharmacy) to desinfect the plants (and get rid of the algae) ... no need to throw them away.

4. wasserman

wasserman Junior Poster

Local Time:
    thanks dutchy

I got one point I need to stretch out "how to get rid of the algae spores."

today, I pulled the lilaeopsis and found that they are growing well, the roots are white and they propagate.
    Probably I need to rescape again.
    I think I dont have to trash the plants, I only need to wash the plants. KMnO4 can also be used to remove the algae spores.

Btw, I believe my tap water contains much nutrients though I only tested the NH3/NH4 and NO3, which are 0 and 10ppm consecutively. I havent sure about the PO4 level.
    If I dose with EI, should I reduce the KNO3 and focus only the unavailable, like K+, PO4 and, micro?
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

thanks
    Hans

5. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I was reffering to the free floating algae spores in the water :)

10 ppm of NO3 is very low, my tank could not survive a week on that, so I doubt that it's enough. Still you should check PO4 and add micros.

6. wasserman

wasserman Junior Poster

Local Time:
    thanks dutchy
    surely will i check the PO4 level.

Do you know what trigger this type of algae to reveal himselves?
    I'm just curious with this...

7. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    High light combined with a CO2 deficiency.

8. Marcel G

Marcel G Banned

Local Time:
    I had this algae when I run out of CO2; but my light was 25-30 umol PAR at the substrate which could be considered low light (not high light). In this testing nano tank I have fine-grained gravel (1-2mm) without supportive soil; very good filter + very good flow ... so high light is not always part of this equation.