This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Brown algae outbreak?

Discussion in 'Marine Plants - Macroalgae' started by For100, Nov 20, 2011.

1. For100

For100 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    1:23 PM
    Hi,

My new set up seems to have an outbreak of brown algae. Please help me make sure it is brown algae.
    It is a brownish slime on the walks and sword leaves. It is easily removable by hand, in some instances grows into small hairy areas.
    It accumulates as dust in the bottom of sump tank. It does not stick to anything there, you can remove it by just syphon the bottom.

The tank has been established for about 2 months, plants are growing a good pace and don't show any nutrient deficiency. I use the EI method to fertilize every week.

Details:

Volume: 180 Gallon
    Lighting: 6 X 45 watts bulbs

Fertilization regimen:
    KNO3: 2 teaspoons / week
    Flourish K: 50 ml / week
    Micro nutrients + iron + Boron: 1/2 teaspoon / week
    Excel: 100 ml / week
    Substrate: play grown sand
    CO2 system injection

Current Readings
    pH: 6.5
    KH: 5DH
    GH: 9DH
    NO3: 5ppm
    PO4 < 1ppm
    Chelated Fe ~0.5 ppm

What do you suggest to control it View attachment 2576 View attachment 2574 View attachment 2575 View attachment 2577 ?

2. Cyclesafe

Cyclesafe Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Diatoms are normal for a new tank. Nerite snails work amazingly well. Is your sump exposed to light?

More water circulation will help.

3. For100

For100 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Hi,

Thanks for the quick response.
    It is the first time I experience this kind of problem. I was hoping to come across someone with similar experience and let me know what nutrient is creating the algae outbreak.
    I have a 1200 Gallon/hour pump in the sump tank and Koralia NaNO 425 (~400 gallon / hour) for circulation in the tank itself.

I am planning to do a 50% WC tonight and only add 2 teaspoons of KNO3. Reading show it is close to zero.
    Should I reduce the Excel intake as well?

Thanks

FR

4. Cyclesafe

Cyclesafe Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    If it is diatoms (brown "algae") then as the tank matures it will go away. Some in the past have postulated that diatoms are the result of too much dissolved silicon - maybe, but good luck with doing anything about that.

Frequent water changes will help. I don't think diatoms are influenced by EI or glutaraldehyde.

Usually I'm not a fan of relying on animals to control anything, but I must say that nerite snails are incredible. Dump 30 or 40 in your tank and they will line up like snow plows on a runway and make short work of your diatoms.

I don't think it is a direct cause of your diatoms, but I noticed that you don't add phosphate. Also, you might consider spreading out your Excel and micros dosage over the week.

#4 Cyclesafe, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2011
  5. For100

For100 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I have let the tank try to settle. The lastest picture is attached. Please let me know what you think about the green algae growing on the walls and older leaves.

What is driving the imbalance? NO3?

6. For100

For100 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    [attachment=902:name]

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

7. For100

For100 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    last picture
    [attachment=904:name]

photo 3.JPG

8. Crispino Ramos

Crispino Ramos Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I know it's a lot of worked because I've had tanks with diatoms. Don't give up on cleaning the glass, plants, substrate, rocks, intake and output pipes, canister, etc.. Keep doing water changes and eventually/gradually it will diminish and disappear.

9. richardsantink

richardsantink Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I find this quite normal when I do large water changes, as it seems to be tied into silicates, with regard to the quality of the salt I was using. After my water change (of about 30g for my 125g tank), I run into this for about two weeks if I just leave it. Lately I've been mixing my seawater a week in advance, and polishing it in my barrels before adding it to the tank. It's made a huge difference but there is always some still.

R

10. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Shhhush

Hi,

It is what I found living in the Salt River valley.

• I can produce brown algae at will just use unfiltered tap water.

It upset many on this forum so I was asked (told?) to shut-up about it since “they” had “settled science” that diatoms have nothing to do with silicates.

You might want to consider a whole house sediment filter, cheap and effective…

And if anyone asks you did not hear it from me.
    :cower:

Biollante