Bristle nose plecos

angus

Prolific Poster
Dec 21, 2013
Central Florida
In reading through various threads here, I see that the Bristle Nose Pleco is highly recommended for planted tanks. However, I discovered that the BN isn't a single species and there are a number of them. I'm looking for a BN species that stays on the small side (3 - 5") and will help keep my driftwood clean of algae.

Can some of you folks recommend some suitable BN species for me that aren't uber expensive?

ShadowMac

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 25, 2010
Grand Forks, ND
I have some very small albino juveniles from a breeding pair a friend has been raising. Unfortunately they do get larger than 5". It would take some time for them to reach that size though. I'm keeping some smaller ones in my aquascaped tanks and just plan to switch them out when they get too large. PM me if you are interested, I'd send em along cheap. Your LFS most likely can get some too, but they might not be as small.

gsjmia

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2010
Boca Raton, FL
Is there a difference between bushy nose and bristle nose pleco's?

Some places say there is a diff but most places use them interchangeably.

What is the smallest pleco that will clean?

On the theory that an albino pygmy bushy nose is the winner, they are impossible to find.

angus

Prolific Poster
Dec 21, 2013
Central Florida
Senility strikes again. I meant to write bushy nose, not bristle.

gsjmia;126558 said:
Is there a difference between bushy nose and bristle nose pleco's?

Some places say there is a diff but most places use them interchangeably.

What is the smallest pleco that will clean?

On the theory that an albino pygmy bushy nose is the winner, they are impossible to find.

angus

Prolific Poster
Dec 21, 2013
Central Florida
Thanks. I wish I had a decent LFS here. I found some yellow BNs that the seller says won't get over four inches. The price is reasonable, so I may give a couple of those a try.

On a related note, does anyone have an online source for buying Cardinal tetras in bulk? I'm looking to buy about 60 of them, but I don't want to spend $3 each for them at the local PetSmart.

ShadowMac;126509 said:
I have some very small albino juveniles from a breeding pair a friend has been raising. Unfortunately they do get larger than 5". It would take some time for them to reach that size though. I'm keeping some smaller ones in my aquascaped tanks and just plan to switch them out when they get too large. PM me if you are interested, I'd send em along cheap. Your LFS most likely can get some too, but they might not be as small.

gsjmia

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2010
Boca Raton, FL
Check with Rachael, there aren't any on the stock list, but if you send her an email she may be able to tell you if and when.
Prices are about the same as elsewhere, but her stock is top quality.

http://msjinkzd.com/stocklist/

- - - Updated - - -

Check with Rachael, there aren't any on the stock list, but if you send her an email she may be able to tell you if and when.
Prices are about the same as elsewhere, but her stock is top quality.

http://msjinkzd.com/stocklist/

gsjmia

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2010
Boca Raton, FL
"Maturity Size: Maximum size 6"

For me that's too big. They crap a lot and can tear up things like UG and HC when they get that big, although it would take a while to get to 6".

I don't think you can trust a chain pet store to actually give you the species you want, I think they tend to be generic to them.

I have read that the albino pygmy bushy nose only get to about 2" but good luck 1. finding them; and, 2. actually getting that species.

reef12

Apr 29, 2013
Tulsa
gsjmia;126646 said:
"Maturity Size: Maximum size 6"

For me that's too big. They crap a lot and can tear up things like UG and HC when they get that big, although it would take a while to get to 6".

I don't think you can trust a chain pet store to actually give you the species you want, I think they tend to be generic to them.

I have read that the albino pygmy bushy nose only get to about 2" but good luck 1. finding them; and, 2. actually getting that species.

I bet right on all accounts.

The search goes on.:rolleyes:

Jeff

gsjmia

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2010
Boca Raton, FL
I am no catfish afficiando by any means but:

4" is a little big--I was hoping for something a little bit bigger than an otocinculus and you could get several of them;

do you know if they eat algea, i don't think all plecos are created equal-some aren't good cleaners or aglea eater. Dave at guitarfish.org says good things about L279's in general but the species you found seems to be a different name than what is listed at planetcatfish or on Dave's site: http://www.guitarfish.org/2007/11/18/ancistrus-sp-l279

I would like an algae eater and not just a pleco for pleco's sake. There are plenty of pleco's in canals in FL where I live (you can see them).

I would hate to get a fish that might live 15 years that didn't eat algea.
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080815190050AAB4ZS9

Having said all of that, your find is interesting and I don't mean to discourage, but I think its a little too much off, unless you are willing to take the fish for a little walk if he doesn't work out.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
They take awhile to get that big, mine are all about 2-2.5" long, breeding etc.

Keep the young ones and sell the adults.

5ZVP

Junior Poster
Mar 17, 2015
My Bristle Nose does not seem to be very good at eating algea. However, I don't remember it being very expensive and it never got bigger than 3" in a 55 gal tank.

Julia Adkins

aquariumfertilizer.com
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2015
Napa, California
www.aquariumfertilizer.com
I have not had much luck with Bushy Nose Pleco as algae eaters. Otocinculus stay small and are good algae. Plecos get bigger and stop eating algae. They munch on plants and if other fish are slow they will attach on and eat the slime covering on the fish eventually killing the other fish.

Edwin

Aug 5, 2017
Tallahassee, Florida
I had at least two species of bristle nose over the years. I had originally thought there was just one species but I was wrong. I would note, my last one shared a large tank with Amano shrimp for a couple of years but it died by trying to eat the shrimp in the middle of shedding. It got stuck in his throat and that was it. Neat fish, my first two cleaned up the bottom pretty good but when they reached maturity want to be fed 'real' food daily. The last two were definitely different did some algae eating but would race to any food in the tank. You might not see them all day, put food in the tank and bang they were right there.