This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Breeding Amano Shrimp

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by vidiots, Nov 21, 2006.

1. vidiots

vidiots Prolific Poster

Hello,
    I am currently attempting to breed amano shrimp. I have read every article I could find on the subject. My first attempt failed after 14 days the zoes all died. My second attempt will be soon, the female is already carrying another batch of eggs.

I am looking for others that have tried this before to bounce some ideas off. Maybe some words of wisdom from things they learned the hard way that I might be able to avoid and increase my chances of succeeding the second time.

I've arleady been to the French site and the Mike's Machine site, and the petshrimp forums all of which had very good information.

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Eric Do in the local club here does a fair amount of breeding.
    They will have a copy of the talk from the AGa you might want to look at.

Raye from Finland has some good foods etc also you might try.
    Iodine helps also.

Etc

I've never had much reason to breed them as they are very cheap for me, other folks do not have such luxuries:mad:

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. vidiots

vidiots Prolific Poster

Thank you for the leads. The only reason I am trying this is because these shrimp are not so easy to get in my area. All the LFSs order from the same supplier who doesn't supply them. Also the oportunity presented itself.

4. kkentert

kkentert Junior Poster

So I'm a little late on this- but send Gary at Yamato Green an e-mail. He has experience breeding them.
    You need to keep a few things in mind- Calcium in the water, PH not below 7, etc. He'll give u the scoop. he's very nice. Mention kevin sent you.

a 10 gallon tank with rocks and a small corner filter is all u need!

His e-mail is GARY at YAMATOGREEN dot COM

Good luck (an dif u suceed, let me know! I'll buy a dozen or two! They're expensive here in NYC!

5. vidiots

vidiots Prolific Poster

Thanks for the info, although after multiple failed attempts I gave up on it for now. I just couldn't keep the zoes alive longer than 30days no matter what I tried which were obviously not the right things :).

6. Dusko

Dusko Prolific Poster

7. firstblue

firstblue Junior Poster

Besides the major sites like theshrimpfarm, elite inverts, etc. I get some of my best shrimp from people I meet on the message boards. I am kinda new around here so I am not sure how the selling enviroment is, but I am enjoying the conversations! Been lurking for a while, just started posting.

8. Matt F.

Matt F. Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Guiseppe Salvato at SFBAAPS is the only one I know of locally (in California) that can breed Amanos (cardinia multidentata). His strain was RNA tested by a UCSF Researcher (also a member of the SFBAAPS) to see if they were real amanos. There are a lot of look-alike "contaminant" species that can breed in freshwater. it turns out, Guiseppes were real and he was breeding them!

9. Asmack Arabia

Asmack Arabia Banned

Hello,

I live here in Saudi Arabia and I have been searching for many months now where I can get these shrimps from around here. If anyone of you guys know someone here in the Middle East who sells or at least keeps these inverts, please let me know.

Thank you.