Break it down again Tom!

travdawg

Guru Class Expert
Feb 2, 2005
Hey Tom, could you give us another breakdown of how to build a good substrate? I have read your posts on the subject elsewhere, but would like to see it as a sticky somewhere on here. I know you dont do much else, but sit around all day, waiting for me to post requests, so the wait is over!!!

chubasco

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Re: Break it down again Tom!

Travdawg,

I think this is one of those: "All will be revealed in the fullness of time"...

Meanwhile, here's something you can experiment with:

1. First layer: 1" of yak dung
2. Next layer: 1/2" of very dried guano
3. Top layer: 2" of glass marbles, your choice

I promise, the guano won't float to the top, lol.

Bill

travdawg

Guru Class Expert
Feb 2, 2005

Crap, now to find an importer of yak dung, & guano... I assume that is any variety of bat dung we are looking for, nothing specific?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Bill often loses his marbles:) By keeping them in the tank, he is far more sane.
But chasing little bats around in the caves trying to extract things from them is just plain wrong.........what if it misses the cup when you are tailing one?

I suggest two products, till they make what I'd like which will be more expensive than anything else made BTW, Onyx sand and then flourite.

3-5" depth is good, you can slope it down to 1" in the front back to 6-8" in the rear, what ever you'd like.

I add mulm, as much as I can vacuum from my tanks, a friends' or a LFS etc.
Sponge filter squeezins work well also, everyone knows someone with a flithy filter........

I add the mulm, then I add leonardite, it matches well with onyx sand and is less messy than peat, but peat can be used, about 1/4" dusting, and then rinse the substrate well, (3x in the bucket) and add on top of this.

I generally will mix the bottom 1" with the mulm, and peat etc and then cap the rest off with the plain onyx.

You those of you that are cheap..........I suggest using a similar color sand to onyx, then using the grey Turface, at 12$ for 50lbs and mixed at a 50: 50 rate with heavy sand, this works well and looks decent.

The grey Turface looks just like the onyx almost but is very light weight.

I hate gravel that's light weight.
Some folks don't mind, I really do mind the weight issue a great deal.

It's a deal breaker for me, but I've found ways around it and still be cheap, mixing works if you can find a mix that does not look to gaudy.

Regards,
Tom Barr

travdawg

Guru Class Expert
Feb 2, 2005

Thank you for the reply Tom, I have been sitting outside with a cup & a net waiting for some bats to swoop down & get me... Guess my insect costume wasnt too convincing, I didnt get any hits...

I think I will ikely end up going the eco complete route. I was suprised to find it for $10 a bag at my LFS, which is over 50% off of what my OTHER LFS sells it for. I dont think I will be able to beat the price anywhere.

If I go the EC route, would you suggest adding any laterite, or other materials to the SS, or just go with the EC & nothing else?

Ian H

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005
Shipley, West Yorkshire, UK

I'm thinking of going with Ecco. In the write-up it states that you don't need to add laterite or anything else. Do you fancy a trip to West Yorkshire in the UK? It's nearly $40 here.

Ian

travdawg

Guru Class Expert
Feb 2, 2005

Are you buying the ticket? I wonder how many 20lb bags I could cram in a carry on?

Cornhusker

Guru Class Expert
Jan 23, 2005

travdawg, that is a very good price for the eco-complete, especially because you did not have to pay shipping. you might think about straining this product, unless yiou like boulders. the last shipment i received had large pieces of the product and i had to strain. i still ended up with too large to suit me . next time i will run thru smaller strainer. loosing the water it's packed in does not cause a problem. plants grow great , but could look better if carfully strained. :) regards, cornhusker

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

I hate the inconsistent pieces that are big also.

But it does well, you pay for water when you pay for shipping.
I hate that.

Color is nice though.

Light weight.

No, you don't don't need laterite for Flourite, EC, Onyx sand etc, I question the use of laterite in the first place.

I would add some mulm and peat or leonardite.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Roman

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2005
Dragomelj, Slovenia (EU)

Tom Barr said:
I generally will mix the bottom 1" with the mulm, and peat etc and then cap the rest off with the plain onyx.

So except some mulm and peat in the bottom layer there is only onyx sand?

How about mixing some flourite in there? Or is visual benefit of plain onyx more prevailing of some extra iron?

Cornhusker

Guru Class Expert
Jan 23, 2005

:) can someone tell me what leonardite is,and where to get? :) :) cornhusker

chubasco

Guru Class Expert
Jan 24, 2005

Cornhusker,
Try www.tastyharvest.com. Go to the online store and it will be nutrients/
additives, click on Black Diamond. Tub of it costs $14.95 plus shipping.

Bill

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Roman said:
So except some mulm and peat in the bottom layer there is only onyx sand?

How about mixing some flourite in there? Or is visual benefit of plain onyx more prevailing of some extra iron?

Yes.

Onyx has plenty of iron so no Flourite is needed. It would look bad also.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

You might try a hydroponic's supplier for the leonardite.
I've found it much cheaper in 10lb bags.

Regards,
Tom Barr