This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

brackish water setup

Discussion in 'Marine Plants - Macroalgae' started by Tug, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Tug

Tug Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    3:29 AM
    Are dosing levels the same for brackish water as they are for fresh water and what water tests (as unreliable as they may be) are critical with brackish water? Some have suggested NO3 and PO4 are not as much of a problem (algae) as with FW, with frequent water changes. What should I be concerned with as I slowly raise the levels of salinity in a 10 gallon tank? Plants right now are Java fern, Java moss and some water wisteria that just showed up on it's own. I have three bumble bee gobies, two guppies (female has a place to hide from the male under some bog wood) and a few RCS.

2. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Brackish

Hi,

I see no reason to do anything different in a brackish tank.

I’ve not seen the ‘suggested’ NO3, PO4 problems with algae in fresh or brackish water.

Given the plants and assuming low lighting, I would use the low end of the EI spectrum. Continue to do minimum 50% water changes, with water that matches the tank for salinity and temperature. Top off water should be regular freshwater, no salt added.

You really don’t need any test equipment as long as you measure the salt going into the tank. One nice feature of brackish water is that by definition, it varies.

If you wish to measure salt content of the water, to get the value of specific gravity, you will need an aquarium hydrometer; they are inexpensive, but honestly not required.

Biollante

3. Tug

Tug Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Salubriously

Thanks Biollante,
    Thats pretty much what I've been doing. Your advice is always welcome. Any good books you could recommend on brackish water or otherwise would also be helpful?

Excuse the rant, but I never feel like an idiot after reading your salubrious comments - even when I say idiotic things. Not everyone regards humility as a virtue but most of us asking for help find it invigorating and we can all learn from your example of humility. Ranting over.
    Peace, love and understanding

4. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Aw’ Shucks…

Hi,

Aw’ Shucks… I appreciate your comments.;)

As with brackish water, brackish aquaria fall somewhere in the middle and I believe is the neglected jewel of the hobby. :)

I have three excellent books on the subject, two of which are rather dated. The one I really recommend is one edited by Neale Monks, Brackish Water Fishes: An Aquarist's Guide To Identification, Care & Husbandry. Available from Amazon.com: brackish water fishes neale monks: Books.

It is then not surprising I would recommend Brackish Systems and FAQ's, where Mr. Monks hangs out, they have a good, if calendaraically challenged, group of folks over there. I admit I am a fan of the whole “Conscientious Aquarist” concept. :cool:

Biollante