Bonsai

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I actually joined the local bonsai club here in Sacramento, been doing it for a long time, just never got involved.

This is one of the nicer trees, I need to do some work on it, but I tend to let trees go awhile and grow well, then trim and wait another 1-2 years before going after them again.

A year ago:

b3dc8aae.jpg

Present time:

Whitepineayearlaternotrimming_zpsa8a23440.jpg

Matt F.

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
May 30, 2009
California
Nice! There is a bonsai shop around the corner from Aqua Forest Aquarium in Japantown. I've been in there a few times to look.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Matt F.;115897 said:
Nice! There is a bonsai shop around the corner from Aqua Forest Aquarium in Japantown. I've been in there a few times to look.
Way over priced and nothing worth buying or doing, sells/panders to tourist.

Forumsnow

Mar 17, 2012
Citrus Heights, CA
Tom, I am moving to the Sac area the beginning of September. Where is a good place around there to get bonsai stuff? Think it would be a cool hobby to hold me over till I can some tanks set back up.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Forumsnow;115899 said:
Tom, I am moving to the Sac area the beginning of September. Where is a good place around there to get bonsai stuff? Think it would be a cool hobby to hold me over till I can some tanks set back up.

There's 3 different places, and a few different clubs to join.
One south of Land Park, likely the best I've seen, then up in Roseville area and then a guy way up in Lotus CA.

TyS

Subscriber
Feb 12, 2014
Hi , ive got a few japanese maple seedlings growing in a pot , have lost their cotelydons and have about 4 leaves now .. and have another crab apple I want to dig out ..
Just wondering the best approach to take when caring for these and pruning etc to develop them?! I understand at this stage they may take years to mature though want to give them.the best start

Any help would.be appreciated :)

Ps I also have a bonsai ficus that's growing nicely about 10cm tall and trunk is starting to thickenn,though it's starting to produce larger leaves so need some advice on pruning

Thanks !