This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Bonsai

Discussion in 'Off Topic and Chat' started by Tom Barr, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    6:06 AM
    I actually joined the local bonsai club here in Sacramento, been doing it for a long time, just never got involved.

This is one of the nicer trees, I need to do some work on it, but I tend to let trees go awhile and grow well, then trim and wait another 1-2 years before going after them again.

A year ago:

[​IMG]

Present time:

[​IMG]

2. Matt F.

Matt F. Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Nice! There is a bonsai shop around the corner from Aqua Forest Aquarium in Japantown. I've been in there a few times to look.

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Way over priced and nothing worth buying or doing, sells/panders to tourist.

4. Forumsnow

Forumsnow Member

Local Time:
    Tom, I am moving to the Sac area the beginning of September. Where is a good place around there to get bonsai stuff? Think it would be a cool hobby to hold me over till I can some tanks set back up.

5. Matt F.

Matt F. Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Not much of a selection, either.

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    There's 3 different places, and a few different clubs to join.
    One south of Land Park, likely the best I've seen, then up in Roseville area and then a guy way up in Lotus CA.

7. TyS

TyS Subscriber

Local Time:
    Hi , ive got a few japanese maple seedlings growing in a pot , have lost their cotelydons and have about 4 leaves now .. and have another crab apple I want to dig out ..
    Just wondering the best approach to take when caring for these and pruning etc to develop them?! I understand at this stage they may take years to mature though want to give them.the best start

Any help would.be appreciated :)

Ps I also have a bonsai ficus that's growing nicely about 10cm tall and trunk is starting to thickenn,though it's starting to produce larger leaves so need some advice on pruning

Thanks !