This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Bolbitis leavs turn black

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Matan Golan, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Matan Golan

Matan Golan Junior Poster

Local Time:
    11:33 AM
    Hi,

I have quite a large clump of Bolbitis in my tank tied to driftwood. The plant is growing very well and sending out new leaves all the time and has become quite large. The problem is that in the past few weeks some of the leaves are turning black. It is also happeninig to some of the new fronds - the frond central stem becomes black and the tip of this frond dies. It is not the case with all the new growth and some of it is developing nicely but the blackening is becoming more and more common. As I mentined - the growth is by no mean stunted and new fronds are emerging all the time.

Is it possible that blocking of the water current (carrying CO2 from an inline diffuser) by taller growing plants is the reason? Is current really that important for this plant? Or is it my hard tap water?

Tank specifications: 240 liters, 108 watt T5 lighting, EI dosing, hard water, CO2 injection through an inline diffuser.

Thanks in advance,
    Matan.

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Sometimes as a tank fills in or a plant becomes larger, they die back, often this is due to lower flows and fer nutrients/CO2.

You may prune it back and keep it relatively the same, or you may increase flow and CO2/nutrients.

Obviously, if you have 2x more plant biomass, you will have a lot more CO2, light and nutrient demand and the flows in the tank will be greatly reduced as well.

So account for that.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. Matan Golan

Local Time:
    Thanks Tom,
    I'll improve the flow/CO2 directly to the plant and see how it reacts.
    Did you have success in growing it in hard water or does it really require soft water as stated in some places?
    Thanks,
    Matan.

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Whoever claims it prefers or has to have soft water, run from them.
    They are entirely clueless there.

I have liquid rock in Santa Barbara, it grew like mad, I sold about 1000$ worth of Bolbitus when I lived there from and single 55 gallon tank.

GH was 25, Kh was 11.
    Great for Rift cichlids:)

I keep the Bolbitus I have in a dolomite Rift tank. It's growing in fairly well.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

5. Matan Golan

Local Time:
    Thanks Tom,
    Just like I thought, but it's always nice to get confirmation. :)
    Matan.