This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Boiling Rock and wood covered in BBA

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by TheWoo, Dec 4, 2011.

1. TheWoo

TheWoo Junior Poster

Local Time:
    2:45 AM
    There are some really nice pieces of rock in my 150 that I would like to move into my planted tank (45 gallon). My problem is the rock and stone is covered in Black Beard Algae.

I would fill an aquarium with Peroxide and soak them but I do not have one large enough.

So I got to thinking, I have a metal bath that I can build a fire underneath and boil the water, and place the rocks and wood in the boiling water.

Will this kill off the algae and make it easier to get off the rock and wood?

I really want to make my living room tank into a nicely planted tank and the rocks and wood would really enhance the scape.

All comments thoughts and suggestions welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Steve

2. Jeremy1

Jeremy1 Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Yeah, I would think that boiling water would kill pretty much everything living on the rocks and wood. You could also put some excel in a spray bottle and mist the rocks/wood while outside the tank.

3. TheWoo

TheWoo Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks Jeremy,

How long would you leave the wood/rocks out of water after having misted it, and would it be necessary to use a stiff brush to get the algae off or would the boiling water take care of it?

Thanks

Steve

4. Jim Miller

Jim Miller Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    If you can get a large syringe and fill it with Excel you'll avoid the waste of overspray. I'd do it once, let it dry then do it again and let it dry then put it in the tank.

If a little crops up again just syringe it again during a water change.

I had BBA all over my manzanita and adding Excel to the water column and good CO2 just couldn't over power it. Once I started applying via syringe directly to the wood during water changes it knocked it for a loop in a hurry. Adding some to the water after that has killed all of it that I can see.

Jim

5. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Boiling the wood is not really a good idea as you will destroy the upper structure of the wood. This can get very soft that way and be the cause of more problems.

You can also use a high KNO3 solution or put the wood in a 5% bleach solution for five minutes. Then brush and rinse well.

#5 dutchy, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2011
  6. TheWoo

TheWoo Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks for all the reply's :) I am new to planted aquaria but not to keeping fish. I always wanted to have a planted tank and now is my chance. I am going to to have a wait and see for week or so before adding or subtracting anything else.

The wood with the BBA on it is out on the deck at the moment drying out. I will bleach it with a 5% solution and then after that I will give it a good brushing and then give it a good syringing with Excel.

After deciding to use another piece of Mopani wood that I had doing nothing I can take my time cleaning up the BBA piece.

Thanks again everyone, this place is amazing.

Steven

7. Jeremy1

Jeremy1 Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    The bleaching should do it alone if you want to save on the excel. Don't worry if you don't brush it all off as it is sometimes hard to get off. Once it is dead, most algae eaters will take care of it, especially SAE's.

8. TheWoo

TheWoo Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks again Jeremy,

I do have a 125 gallon tank where I keep Long finned Albino Pleco's do you think they would take care if it once it was dead?

9. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Excel works great if you use a spray bottle, or peroxide also.

Spray bottle makes the coverage fast and easy.

10. TheWoo

TheWoo Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Makes a note to visit the store tomorrow for a spray bottle and a couple of bottles of peroxide. My bottle of Excel is almost empty so peroxide it will be.

Thanks again folks. :)

11. bsmith782

bsmith782 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    If you have the wood out of the water, peroxide will work like a champ. I had wild BBA on some wood in one of my tanks and during the last WC I got out the peroxide and one of my insulin syringes and put ~20-30ml on the parts above the water. I let it sit like that for a couple of hours and them filled the tank back up.

Here is what it looked like the very next day...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whenever the wood/hard scape object is below the water I use a syringe and spray Excel on it, then let sit for an hour or two with all circulation methods turned off. Usually two days of doing that in a row and the BBA is as good as dead. But since im out of Excel at home I thought id give the peroxide a shot. I will say that the peroxide with the BA out of water worked better than Excel under water. I haven't tried peroxide underwater and am not sure if it would work as well as Excel. If it works as well as Excel then I will 100% be using peroxide as its much, much cheaper than Excel.

12. TheWoo

TheWoo Junior Poster

Local Time:
    The proof is in the pudding (or in this case the pictures). Obviously this worked very well. How long did it take for it to vanish all together?

Thanks again for the pictures :)

Steve