Bob' 40 Gallon Build

Bob Larsen

May 12, 2018
Minnesota, USA
I started putting together a 40 gallon planted tank in our basement family room this week.
I have the cabinet box set up and I'm doing a 'wet' test of the aquarium this weekend while I'm away. The tank is an old 40 gallon breeder I bought at an estate sale. I removed the old silicone and replaced with new. The cabinet is from a local big box home improvement store. I reinforced the cabinet under the counter with additional 3/4 plywood. Next I'll empty the tank, finish installing the doors, and sides. Then on to dry start aquascaping.

untitled-23.JPG

Reactions: Phishless

Bob Larsen

May 12, 2018
Minnesota, USA
The plan is to eventually house a few apistogramma . They need little warmer tank and a few caves. I'll try Monte Carlo emergent as a dry start in front. I'll add a variety Echinodorus after flooding. I'm not decided as to other species.

Bob Larsen

May 12, 2018
Minnesota, USA
It's been about a month since I 'dry' started Monte Carlo. I'm getting ready to add some water and trim the mess. I have some various Echinodorus ordered which will get here later in the week.
Substrate has about 1/2 3/4 inch of garden soil, uns in brown, and some pool sand. The rocks are some granite I collected on our property. The 3 caves are made from 3 inch abs pipe.

untitled-29.JPG

Bob Larsen

May 12, 2018
Minnesota, USA
Could you elaborate on how you reinforced the cabinet, please?
I used 3 pieces of 4 inch wide birch plywood run lengthwise. Similar to the way floor joist would support a floor. The ends were attached with screws from the outside and to plywood blocks between the "joist".
The plywood was also used for the top and the cabinet sits on a piece of birch ply.

Reactions: Fisherking