This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Bob' 40 Gallon Build

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Bob Larsen, May 18, 2018.

1. Bob Larsen

Bob Larsen New Member

Local Time:
    6:42 PM
    I started putting together a 40 gallon planted tank in our basement family room this week.
    I have the cabinet box set up and I'm doing a 'wet' test of the aquarium this weekend while I'm away. The tank is an old 40 gallon breeder I bought at an estate sale. I removed the old silicone and replaced with new. The cabinet is from a local big box home improvement store. I reinforced the cabinet under the counter with additional 3/4 plywood. Next I'll empty the tank, finish installing the doors, and sides. Then on to dry start aquascaping.

untitled-23.JPG

Phishless likes this.
  2. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    7:42 PM
    What do plan on growing?
    If it's heavily planted with few phish may be no need to cycle.

3. Bob Larsen

Bob Larsen New Member

Local Time:
    The plan is to eventually house a few apistogramma . They need little warmer tank and a few caves. I'll try Monte Carlo emergent as a dry start in front. I'll add a variety Echinodorus after flooding. I'm not decided as to other species.

4. Bob Larsen

Bob Larsen New Member

Local Time:
    It's been about a month since I 'dry' started Monte Carlo. I'm getting ready to add some water and trim the mess. I have some various Echinodorus ordered which will get here later in the week.
    Substrate has about 1/2 3/4 inch of garden soil, uns in brown, and some pool sand. The rocks are some granite I collected on our property. The 3 caves are made from 3 inch abs pipe.

untitled-29.JPG

Slin, khanzer22 and Phishless like this.
  5. Fisherking

Fisherking Member

Local Time:
    Could you elaborate on how you reinforced the cabinet, please?

6. Bob Larsen

Bob Larsen New Member

Local Time:
    I used 3 pieces of 4 inch wide birch plywood run lengthwise. Similar to the way floor joist would support a floor. The ends were attached with screws from the outside and to plywood blocks between the "joist".
    The plywood was also used for the top and the cabinet sits on a piece of birch ply.

Fisherking likes this.
Tags: