blue-green algae

JadeButterfly

Guru Class Expert
Jan 23, 2005
Hey all,

Does anyone know what causes blue-green algae?

Every week when I prune my glossos, I find no more than 3 glossos in the same area being infected by blue-green algae. The area changes every week...just wondering what nutrient deficiency I have...

Every since dosing EI, the only algae I still have is green dust algae on glass, green spot algae on plants, and blue-green algae...

All three is very minor and not noticible until you carefully examine it.

Thanks.

fosteder

Guru Class Expert
Feb 3, 2005
Rochester, NH
Re: blue-green algae

I had a nasty case of BGA that Tom just helped me get over, in my case it was a low nitrate situation. My test had been reading 5-10 ppm, but I didn't really believe it. Mine was a pretty severe case though. I don't know what would cause the minor occurance of BGA.

Gill Man

Prolific Poster
Feb 10, 2005
San Francisco

You must have gotten a hold of some of my water! :D Erythromycin, at half dose, I believe, is a good treatment for BGA, worked well until it was reintroduced. That's the main "cause" of BGA. It seems to like nutrient-rich water but also areas of low water movement, IME.

aquabillpers

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005

I think that if one looks closely, he will find BGA (and many other harmful bugs) in most planted aquariums, tiny populations not doing any harm but just waiting for the right conditions to go forth and multiply.

The right conditions could be anything that significantly changes the status quo in the aquarium, like an increase or decrease in nutrient levels, lighting, or temperature.

Bill