Bleach

steve todd

Dec 15, 2017
brisbane
as some of you guys have seen by. Some of my previous posts I have a lot of. cladophora On my driftwood. I can’t get rid of it so it looks like a strip tank down and soak drift wood in bleach question is at what ratio to water and how long does it need to be soaked for

Cheers

Allwissend

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2016
www.intuitiveaqua.net
Hi Steve,
The standard treatment solution is 1:19 bleach:water by volume. Soaking time for plants ranges from 1 and a half to 2 minutes. Wood and rocks can be soaked for longer without problems. I would recommend soaking the wood for longer to allow some of the bleach to go deeper in the wood.

Some plants like vallisneria and other thin walled plants are damaged by this treatment.

After the 2 minutes have elapsed rinse in clean water and let soak in water treated with dechlorinator. For wood, I would also prolong the duration of the soaking.

Hope this helps and your aquarium will be free of this algae.

Allwissend

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2016
www.intuitiveaqua.net
10 minutes or so. If sunny outside and really concerned about it, I would also allow the wood to dry out at least at the surface.

steve todd

Dec 15, 2017
brisbane
So then if I were to fill my 50l drum I would need 2l bleach,Am i correct,Does wood need to be soaked in Dechlorinator after treating with bleach

Last edited:

Allwissend

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2016
www.intuitiveaqua.net
The bleach is neutralized very fast, the problem is the part that soaked in.
2-3 times the duration left to soak in bleach should be okay. So 10 min in bleach, 30 minutes in treated water but that is a guesstimate, not really scientific.

If you are really worried leave them overnight. This will also help with avoid large NH3 release in the aquarium itself from the dead algae and bacteria bits.

Regards

steve todd

Dec 15, 2017
brisbane
Don’t have drum big enough is there another way was thinking of. Putting it all out on my lawn leave it dry out or use a gerni. on it and the start over

Last edited: