This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Blackout for algae treatment

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by nursie, Aug 2, 2005.

1. jimjim

jimjim Junior Poster

Local Time:
    1:11 AM
    Re: Blackout for algae treatment

Tom, I can understand studying water parameters for scientific study and what causes alge breakouts and whatever. I think you've done a great job getting the word out what works and what doesnt. I read all the plant forums every day and just don't understand why people don't move on to better things. Substrates have been pretty much proven to be not very useful. Doseing does'nt have to be any where close to being precise and alge will mostly go away and/or can be gotten rid of fairly easily. I apologize to everyone for the rant but had just finished reading the same stuff over and over again. It isn't the question that someone asks, there are no dumb questions, its the pushing of things that have been proven not to work or are detrimental to our fish and plants(PO4, substrates, chemical cures, etc). I guess I'm just getting old :gw and needed my Geritol yesterday.....Jim

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:

Folks are inherently suspicous(well some of us, like myself) and do not trust folks. So we need to prove things to ourselves.

That process is fun.

Substrate ferts do work.............but they have their own set of issues/traqde offs and last only so long.

ADa substrates work well for the start up, but they cost a lot also and I do not like the softness/light weight, but they do work and make a fast set up nice.

But after awhile the nutrients are gone and you need to swap over to the water column dosing.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. Simpte

Simpte Prolific Poster

Local Time:

Tom, will a substrate that leaches nutrients into the water-column (ie eco-complete or flourite) reabsorb them to keep a balance of equillibrium once they are depleated? Would resoaking said particular substrate "recharge" it?

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:

Probably.

You can soak Flourite good, in a nutrient rich solution, then cap it with a finer substrate on top.

If you do not uproot etc for a month or two, you'll get similar ADA results.

I've done this with soil, peat and flourite.
    But after 1-2 months the effect wears off.

Then the water column comes into play.

I do not like the ADA/Florabase stuff after a year or two, mushy, but can be lightly vacuumed to remove the mush.

Amano claims it does not, but I do not get a critical response from about anything. He seem like he sells used cars, nice guy, but there is that vibe.

He's a better salesman than I am.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

5. nursie

nursie Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:

Thought I'd post a progress report...I cut back on everything except the Flourish Excel, and the potassium nitrate. IMO, when things began to go wrong for me was when I ditched the hornwort. Tom...Greg.maybe I'm nuts here, but I did get comments elsewhere that the hornwort had probably bee soaking up the excess nutrients, and the other comment was that it puts out some kind of something that inhibits algae growth. So I got some and put a couple of big bunches in the tank, and let it go..it had a big growth spurt after I added the KNO3. I vaccumed and cleaned the tank..not to the extent you reccomend yet, but that is still an option. There has been progress. I did give everything a haircut and got rid of a lot of the algae that way. I pulled all my driftwood out..it all has java moss attached, and scrubbed it with a toothbrush, and peroxided the plants. I pulled off some of the plant starts that were real algae infested ( I had a lot of starts) and put the wood back in the tank.
    It may be my imagination, but the starts of the algae that were on some of the plants are gone. There is still some on my amazon sword and little bits here and there, which I will trim, and I need to get new tubing for my filter and clean that. the spray bar is growing all kinds of stuff, and the tubing is black. Then I'll clean the filter. The water looks better too...
    So my latest magic fish oil is hornwort :D