This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Black out against staghorn?

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by Piotr Tomaszewski, May 8, 2015.

1. Piotr Tomaszewski

Piotr Tomaszewski New Member

Local Time:
    11:29 PM
    I could not find anything about eliminating staghorn algae by 3 day black-out. Any experiences?

2. kashkettle

kashkettle Guest

Local Time:
    5:29 PM
    Hi Piotr, suffering this myself after a complete clean and rescape. Just waiting on some Excel to be delivered so I can hit it with the One Two punch. This has been extremely effective in allowing me to focus on the plants again instead of losing the battle. At the moment I have the staghorn pearling all day which is depressing. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=203684

Andy Taylor likes this.
  3. kashkettle

kashkettle Guest

Local Time:
    Ps - if you decide to do this follow the instructions carefully and time everything as described by DarkCobra.

4. Piotr Tomaszewski

Local Time:
    Very interesting link, thanks!

My staghorns were pearling too. I've reduced light intensity so that there's no pearling and want to see stop of expansion first. This algae really shows delayed boost from introducing more fish/CO2 problems/ stirring the substrate. Actually looks quite cool on driftwood I think ;)

5. kashkettle

kashkettle Guest

Local Time:
    Excel arrived and I performed the one two with great success. Turned off the filters and ran my power heads. Decided to run with two tablespoons h202 per ten gallons for fifteen minutes. 50 percent water change and then a dose of 5ml excel per 10 gallons. Followed that up this morning with another dose of excel before heading to work, never bothered with that before but wanted to be sure.

Got home tonight and every ounce of staghorn is dead including the BBA. Tank looks bright and healthy again...for now. Good luck with yours.

6. Piotr Tomaszewski

Local Time:
    I wonder whether the shrimp survive the treatment? I have Amano and RCS.

7. kashkettle

kashkettle Guest

Local Time:
    Unfortunately I am unable to get shrimp for mine so I cannot advise however I notice that in the reference material he drops his from four tablespoons down to two as its a safer method. Flow seems to be the most important factor as is time. I run two power heads during this process and time it to the minute then perform the water change as quickly as I'm able. Perhaps if your cautious you might drop to one tablespoon per 10 gallon and follow up with excel. If confident in say three to four weeks raise this to two should the exercise not provide a reasonable result. I wouldn't want to risk shrimp if I had them so understand your caution. My care is for a Golden Ram within this aquarium so I am always very careful not to go crazy when doing things.