This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Black neon tolerant of high Co2? (Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi)

Discussion in 'Fish for Planted Tanks' started by Hallen, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Hallen

Hallen Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    8:51 PM
    Hello,

I'm considering to cheat on my old love the harlequin Rasbora, atleast for the time being until I finally get a new tank. :)

My eye has fallen on the Black neon since they'll give a nice contrast to all the green in my tank. I've been reading a lot about this species, found lots of info but can't find anything solid on their tolerance of 'high' Co2 levels.

Does anyone here keep them or has something to say about their tolerance in relation to Co2? (No intention to breed them)

Regards,
    Sebastiaan

2. nipat

nipat Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Hi, I have them. I've never seen they suffer from CO2 even when other fishes are.

I've never had the Harlequin Rasbora (although my region is their habitat).
    So I don't know how the Black Neons compare to them about CO2.

3. fjf888

fjf888 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    If I had to guess (this is purely speculation), I would think that fish from blackwater habitats or still waters would have a higher tolerance of CO2 than fish from river environments that typically have a lot of surface agitation and water movement. Still, I have never found any reliable information about fish tolerance of CO2. I would love to get my hands on that too. I've seen tanks in TFH magazine in the states that Amano had used Black Neon Tetras FWIW.

4. barbarossa4122

barbarossa4122 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I have 4 Harlequin Rasbora and they are doing great with co2 for the last 5 weeks. I see no difference in their behavior since I started co2.

5. Hallen

Hallen Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Thanks guys, I'll buy them and then just lower my lights and Co2 and than slowly increase it again so they have time to adapt. I'm not that fond of the drop adapt method :)