This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Black Diamond vs. Diamond Black

Discussion in 'Non-CO2 Methods' started by cubequeen, Jan 7, 2016.

1. cubequeen

cubequeen Subscriber

Local Time:
    6:27 AM
    Am I correct in my thinking that Black Diamond blasting sand, which I have read about being used as a substrate by some people, is not the same as Diamond Black aka leonardite recommended by Tom as a carbon source?

I have a 29-gal cube tank which currently has a quartz gravel substrate with grains that are about 1/4 inch. In the spring I will be switching the substrate to pool filter sand. I'm thinking of doing a thin layer of leonardite to provide carbon for the plants without having to do the DIY CO2 yeast thing again. By the way, where does one get leonardite?

2. Harry Muscle

Harry Muscle Junior Poster

Local Time:
    That's correct, they are two completely different things. Leonardite has been hard to find lately, but there's a product made by Down to Earth called Granular Humic Acids. According to the MSDS sheet it's pure oxidized lignite which is leonardite according to Wikipedia. It's pretty cheaply priced too which is nice.

Thanks,

Harry

3. Scott Wilson

Scott Wilson Junior Poster

Local Time:
    does organic peat work also?

4. Scott Wilson

Scott Wilson Junior Poster

Local Time:
  5. Dennis Singh