This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Support us by upgrading to the lifetime advertisement free version.

Click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Black Diamond Leonardite?

Discussion in 'Sediment / Substrate' started by kevinmichael77, Oct 13, 2014.

1. kevinmichael77

kevinmichael77 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    11:39 PM
    Looking to start a low tech non co2 tank in the next month and planning the substrate. I have a 40b and want to do the combination of Diamond Black and onyx sand, as recommended on this site, but I can't find the stuff anywhere and don't know how much I'd need when I do. A few places I contacted said it's been discontinued for the liquid form.

Anyone know where I can find the powder form?

If I end up just going with mulm, peat, and onyx sand how much mulm and peat do I need for a 40b?

I have done done research and I know I don't want to use dirt but I don't know the amounts of the other options that I'd need.

2. braxx

braxx Junior Poster

Local Time:
  3. Kosmonaut

Kosmonaut Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Hi Kevin,

I don't know if this is going to help you, but ...

Perlhumus is a lignite/leonardite based product from humintech, I got a 25 kilo bag here in Germany for about €25.

There is a problem with it though, its is slighty water soluble and I found out that after placing a small amount of it in a glass of water, after a couple of days the water would get a brownish coloration. When disturbed a little bit the water would color very fast, trough abrasion possibly. I was very excited about leonardite, because I believed that it would be some sort of inexpensive "clean dirt" replacement, but now I am looking for another substrate. Maybe the coloration can be filtered out or it will go away with time, if someone here has experience with it maybe they can share it.

Seems to me like Tom suggested to use it at some point in the past and then moved to Aquasoil or something ...

Cheers